crescent bay tomorrow...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyhigh123

Reaction score
I'm thinking of diving crescent tomorrow, tuesday. I'm a newb, but i've been there before. Just wondering what u guys think the condition will be like as well as what is the best time of day to go, if there is one. Also, how deep should i go to get to the clearer stuff? Where's the thermocline at around crescent? thanks!

if anyone wants to go let me know, call me 626-244-4545, we'll prob get there around 11 to 12

bleh... lol... so we got out, viz looked descent at least 8-10 feet since i was at 10 feet and was able to see the bottom... i emptied my bc and guess what, i couldn't sink. I was underweighted... i thought i had enough but i didnt so after trying for about a good 20 minutes, i gave up and we headed back for shore... i might try again friday...

good news though, the red tide is pretty much gone... from the surface i can see about 10 feet+ to the floor and i saw little fishes at the bottom...

dah, i'm a newb... lol... underweighted...

Ok time for a debriefing:

Question:
1. How tall are you?
2. How much do you weigh?
3. How much does your wetsuit weigh?(I will assume a 7mm).
The above information will help determine your correct weighting. Allow about 3 pounds of lead for each pound of wetsuit, then we need some for the AL80 weight shift (4 pounds) and a tad more for the chocolate cake, Twinkies and other goodies.

Next ask yourself this question: While trying to go down were you aware of and concentrating on the following?:
A: Exhaling, Exhaling and then when you can't exhale anymore, exhaling more. When you must, take a small sip of air, and then exhale. Once you get past 10 feet it gets easier and you can start to breath, but not big huge lung full breaths.
B: Holding your BC hose up over your head fully extended (I often see the hose with a nice loop in it.
C: Were your ankles crossed (many people out of habit are actually kicking or fining which of course pushes you up when you are trying to go down, kind of a fight or flight reflex of being in the water).
D: Were you keeping your hands and body absolutely still. Motion, any motion, creates lift, when you are trying to go down.

Back
Top Bottom