Cressi-Sub J 115

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MercutioATC

Contributor
Reaction score
After being warned off of Mares BCD's by a few on this board and the repair tech at my LDS, I decided to consider some other possibilities. One recommendation was the Cressi-Sub J 115. If I understand correctly, it has an airtrim-like system with manual controls rather than pneumatic. The repair tech also said Cressi quality is good and their customer service is great.

I'm not looking to start a "Mares vs Non-Mares" thread, just wondering if anybody had feedback on this BCD. As it's pretty new, there don't seem to be a lot of reviews out yet...

Buying the rest of the equipment was easy...the BCD is turning out to be a more difficult decision.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

I have been looking around for the J-113. Have not heard of the J-115. The J-113 does have an airtrim type of feature(which is what caught my interest).
Have tried several other Cressi BC's and have liked all. The AquaLite is nice for travel and the S-113 is a great BC as well.
Also, have interest in the new Mares Morphos (with airtrim feature).
The J-113 and the Morphos are both fairly new on the market and only have found the Morphos at Leisure Pro (on back order) and also on back order at my LDS. The LDS owner said he really liked the Morphos and plans on buying one for himself when he gets his new shipment . Makes me think with the Mares being on backorder in several areas, it must be a good BC and liked by a lot of divers.
Have not had any luck finding the J-113 - but will keep looking.
Try both if possible and see what you think.:blfish:

The J 115 is basically an S 111 with the flight control system. I haven't seen one in a store (did a fitting with an S 111 that my LDS had in stock) but they can be ordered.

I had no luck finding an in-stock Morphos or Morphos Twin when I was looking for them. A couple of places in Europe say they have them in stock, but didn't when I tried to verify.

If your LDS is a Cressi dealer, they should have a Cressi flyer/catalogue thingie with the J 115 in it.

Both seemed to be great BCD's to me. Good luck with whichever you choose.

I just received my Morphos from LP. They just got new stock, however they told me that the orders are coming in faster than they can replace them. Haven't had a chance to ocean test it, but took it for a pool test.

Very impressive! Same basic constuction as the Pegasus Airtrim, but much lighter. It's a jacket style but almost works like a back inflate. On the surface it is like an armchair and under it's like a BP.

The Airtrim system is the same as the Pegasus or Dragonfly, but there is only one pneumatic valve and three manual dumps. One on the top and one on each lower side. Dumping is easy in any position. It also has two small pockets on the back to allow for small trim weights.

The thing that threw me is that the Morphos is it's own carry case. Two pieces of material unfold from the back and fold the jacket into a cocoon. The whole package is approx one foot by two feet. Definately a traveling BC.

Don't know much about the Cressi, but here are a couple of sites that I found that had some info.

http://www.diveoz.com.au/news/list_news.asp?news=2
http://www.cressi-sub.net/newproducts.htm

Enjoy the ride:mean:

... have seen both the J107 and the J115 at my local LDS. Cressi has a mechanical, hence simpler and more adjustable , system than the Mares. Showed them to dive buddy and wife they both loved the Cressi system.

...for all of the input. My J 115 should be in on Monday of next week. I'm hoping it's as good as it seems.

Rich

...and it looks great. It'll be a few weeks before I have a chance to get it into the water and I can't wait.

The sizes seem to run a little big. 5'8", 165#, 41" chest and a medium fits great, but has plenty of room left, worn over a 3mm wetsuit.

Rich

...actually just in a pool...it's still a little cold here for me. It took a little getting used to, but I do like the "flight control" (airtrim) system and once I got the weighting right, buoyancy control was nearly effortless. I recently dropped from 165# to 150#, so it took a little adjustment.

My only complaint - the control stub for the inflator/deflator sticks out about 4" and could snag if I'm not careful.

It was great! Slightly bulky and, (with the integrated weights), a little heavy to lug around, but no other negative issues that I experienced (again, that "flight control" stub could be an entanglement issue in some situations, I suppose). The inflate/deflate on the flight control system allows for VERY fine control, so buoyancy control is a breeze. NO squeeze at any time. I'd definitely recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom