Critter ID assistance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juvenile Spotted Drum, Equetus punctatus

Question for you, how did you know? I only have roughly 10 dives on my belt. I discovered it at 80 ft if not 65ft, can't quite remember what my watch stated but it was the most amazing thing ever seeing that critter. Also, you stated Juvenile? Is there a mature version of these?

Is this really the mature (adult) version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmmurhLNLM

I'm so shocked if it is because of the body structure when it's a juvenile. I looked at another juvenile which was more formed and wow, how old do you think that one was? A week old?

It’s one of our favorite fish to watch. The video in your second post does show an adult. I’m guessing the one in your video was actually fairly well along, simply because I’ve seen them quite a bit smaller and more slender.

The often-mentioned Reef Fish Identification Florida Caribbean Bahamas by Humann and DeLoach might well be a good addition to your library.
The transformations some fish udergo is simply mind-boggling. You will likely have many more pleasant surprises as you continue observing marine critters.

The more you dive, the more quickly and easily you will be able to identify fish. There are certain fish, like the Spotted Drum, that are fairly common and unique and once you know the fish, you know it.

Back
Top Bottom