Croatia - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know I’m a bit late with this report but believe me – once I got back I was so busy that I almost forgot I was on holiday.

Anyway – we went to the Island Ist – it’s middle Dalmacia, close to the city Zadar. In Zadar we left our cars and took ferry to Ist. Ist is a small island – one village – with no cars!!!!!! Can you believe – there are still places like this? It’s a wonderful place, quiet, no hotels – only apartments or room to lend, 4 small restaurants, 2 bars, 2 grocery shops and a post office. In fact the dream of my life is to work there as a postman – post office is open only 2 hours a day!!!!!

The diving center we used is own by two Slovenians – both of them DIR and serious cave divers. Our first dive was Tramerca – close to another island – just a classic check dive – only 10 meters. Mostly we tried to get our buoyancy and weight properly fixed. Second dive was at Duzac – for me a bit boring – mostly rocks, few animals and nothing to do. So I decided to practice my trim and frog kick. I also tried back kick but with my fins it doesn’t work (twinjets).
On Ist all dives are boat ones but the boat comes back between the dives. So next day we all showed up at the center at 10 am but we left at 11:30. Our destination was Skarda – incredible garden of violet gorgonias. They are rather deep – so my max depth was 38 meters. In little holes you can find there plenty of lobsters and octopuses. As well as sea eels – huge ones!!!! And also sea mines – still from the II WW.
Our second dive was Sika Od Satrine – a wall with sea eels in every hole. They don’t like to be seen and very often hide deep in the holes – to spot them you need some experience. Meantime I’m developing my trim and the ability to stay in one place on the safety stop but with the waves it’s still difficult.
Third day – Bacvica. Great wall with a lot of animals – which in Croatia is not that common. The bottom of the Adriatic sea looks more like a moon – rocks, mountains but no reef. Our next dive was Vodeniak – small island and you dive along the wall, which in fact is a “foundation” of the island.
4th day. Langnicy. This time I asked for nitrox. I was fed up with the fact that being on holiday I fall asleep at 10pm and miss all the evening fun (mainly the local wine ;-). As my MOD was 33 meters I stayed a bit above the rest of the group and although I know I shouldn’t publicly admit it I enjoyed being “on my own”. Finally nobody was bothering me and I could swim with my speed and look into every hole I wanted.
Second dive was Kamienjak – place where you can find remains of antique amphoras. All of them are broken but we found one less broken. So we tried to drink from it – hoping that there still would be some of the antique wine….
5th day. Finally the most beautiful place here – a cave called Cathedral. We did both dives there exploring the cave, corridors and canyons. There we tried to do some “artistic” photos but rather without success – two of them I uploaded in the gallery. First entrance to the place is at the depth of 8 – 12 meters. Then we swam through the short corridor into the main room. This one is really huge with the triangle shaped exit into the blue. The max depth there is 30 meters. Second entrance is through a narrow passage – not all of us did this – and the exit is through a narrow canyon. I remember a year ago when I was there for the first time (and a fresh OWD diver) I was so scared. Now I was the first one to go everywhere – into the smallest and narrowest places.

6th day. I did only one dive – Wodeniak. It was a great dive. First a gorgonias garden, then small corridors and caves we went into. In one of the passages we had to practice the back frog kick and it convinced me that it’s time to get jetfins because I had problems with backing up….

So the week in Croatia ended. On Saturday morning (5am) we took ferry back to Zadar. And then being only 400 kilometers from Venice we decided we can’t waste a chance not to go there. So we did it. We went to Venice and wonder around for 5 hours. Gosh every time I’m there I can’t believe this place still exists. And it does so for a 1000 years…
After Venice we headed north, through Vienna – quick walk around the center – and got back home.
But soon another trip – Sharm el Shaikh in August. Only a month to go!!!! Meantime I have to stay happy with Mazurian lakes and my Rescue course.
Mania
If you want to know a bit more – here is the web page of the diving center:
http://www.ist-diving.com/onasENG.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom