Cruise options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klaporte

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My fiance` and I are going on a cruise in late Jan aboard the Carnival Destiny. We are new to diving (just cert in Oct) and have done 6 dives in New England (cold, no vis). We are planning on doing two scuba excursions and wanted some feedback about which are the two best places listed to dive.

St. Thomas
Dominica
Barbados
Aruba

We also own our own SCUBA gear, but were wondering if you guys typically will bring your own gear or use the gear supplied by the cruise ship. We'll be sure to write a full report of our trip once we get back. Thanks in advance.

Ken

You may want to use the search function to find similar threads. This is a very common question on Scubaboard. Expect the cruise sponsored dive expeditions to be limited bottom time, limited depth and cattle boat operations. It may be perfect for someone relatively new to the sport. It may be disappointing. On that list I would dive in Dominica, Aruba and Barbados. Actually, I would dive every stop I could but thats me. The diving in St. Thomas was okay but nothing to write home about. Ask about diving the Navy barges. They are right in the harbor and present some cool swim-throughs and safe penetration.

My experience agrees with Tim's assessment. Cruise ships' outings in general are pretty homogenized. Which may not be entirely a bad thing, depending on your experience and comfort level.

As Tim suggested a search of the board might give some suggestions for dives/dive operators. In any case the research will help get you in the mood for Caribbean diving!

In my limited experience, booking dives with someone other than the cruise ship's operator is less expensive, generally less crowded, and more flexible.

Your mileage may vary.

KYDan

If it was me, I'd dive Dominica with Nature Island Dive & Barbados with The Dive Shop, Ltd (ask for Haroon) or Blue Reef (ask for John). They will accommodate your schedule.

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

Thanks everyone. We really appreciate your quick feedback. And I think we are leaning towards Dominca and Barbados, do one excursion through the cruise line and one on our own. Does anyone know about how much it would cost for a two tank dive in Barbados?

Thanks again
-Ken

Yes, you should be able to get a morning 2 tanker for about $80.

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

Ken,

I just came back from a cruise to Dominica and 5 other countries. It was also a Carnival cruise. I took all of my gear, my girlfriend rented all of hers. I will continue to take all of my gear if I must dive from a cruise ship vacation. My girlfriend bought her own gear and will now do the same. I also dove with Nature Island Divers and they were great. I chose NOT to dive with Dive Dominica which would only book through the ship at a $99.00 cost. They also did not go to the better dive sites. Below is an answer from an email I got from Nature Island Dive concerning diving.

Dear Matt,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Please be advised that we can pick up on the pier at 8.10am
2 tank dive/transfer/user fee $84.00
2 tank dive/transfers/BC and Reg rental/user fee $94.00
We will transfer you by mini bus to the dive shop which is 20/25 minutes from Roseau where the ship docks. We are located in the marine reserve where some of the best diving in the Caribbean is found.
Would need a credit card number to hold booking secure.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Karen Moise

www.natureislanddive.com

I hope this helps Ken,

Matt

klaporte:
Hi Everyone,

My fiance` and I are going on a cruise in late Jan aboard the Carnival Destiny. We are new to diving (just cert in Oct) and have done 6 dives in New England (cold, no vis). We are planning on doing two scuba excursions and wanted some feedback about which are the two best places listed to dive.

St. Thomas
Dominica
Barbados
Aruba

We also own our own SCUBA gear, but were wondering if you guys typically will bring your own gear or use the gear supplied by the cruise ship. We'll be sure to write a full report of our trip once we get back. Thanks in advance.

Ken
We are going on the same cruise on February 01! We are taking our own gear. So far we have made plans to dive in Aruba with Clive from Dive Aruba. Still trying to decide which other port to try, possibly Barbados or Dominica. If you get back before Feb 01, please post a report! Have a great time!

I'll second that cruisecritic recommendation. They have a dedicated scuba section.

On St. Thomas www.cokidive.com is a good place to start, especially if you take your own gear. It will be an inexpensive shore dive and they will come get you from the ships dock.

On Aruba, I dove with DiveAruba 3 years ago while on a cruise. It was my first warm water dives after about 18 cold water dives. They have a small 6 pack boat and conduct a follow the leader type dive, but they are still better than Red Sail on Aruba. Red Sail is the dive op the cruiselines use. MOooooo

Back
Top Bottom