cruise ship piers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your link worked, that is a good find. Just to show how bad Puerto Maya is, I have a before photo:
02Puerta-Maya-pier.jpg

to compare with the after photo:
2259_1130215984_Picture6.jpg

I can't believe how bad the damage is. Those were stone and cement buildings on a cement peir.

Hard to believe I was on that pier just a few short weeks ago! So sad!

Man how sad it looks...was just there in May this year.

Those must of been "weapons grade" waves. Some of that was new work, steel reenforced concrete. Thats the kinda damage you expect from explosives. I mean it's one thing to see sheetmetal and roofing striped off, but damn...

How terrible. Just thinking of all of the distruction (globally) we have seen this past year...it is almost unbelievable.

Yes it is hard to imagine, but think of it: The waves were 10-15-20 feet tall possibly. The piers sit just a few feet off the water, so when 15' waves start rolling in, you have 15' of water moving upwards underneath the piers. There are tons and TONS of force involved there, and something had to give. I bet those sections of the pier poped off like corks!!!!!

Hopefully they can get them repaired quickly.....but if they have to 100% demolish all 3 and start over? It could be 6 months to a year before Cozumel sees another cruise ship!!!!! :11:

According to the Island Dreams web site the cruise ships are tentively scheduled to resume Coz stop on Nov 20th. They will use tenders to get the ashore..

Brules:
Hopefully they can get them repaired quickly.....
If the people on the island didn't need the money the podders bring, it would be OK with me if they took their time repairing the piers.

Brules:
but if they have to 100% demolish all 3 and start over? It could be 6 months to a year before Cozumel sees another cruise ship!!!!! :11:
The cruise ships will return sooner and use tenders. Also, I think they might want to concentrate on the least damaged pier to get it in working order so there will be at least one functional. It will still limit the number of ships there on any given day, which might be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom