Cruise Ships?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a lot of bogus information in this thread....

I've traveled quite a bit and frequently it was on a Royal Caribbean ship. I work in clinical diagnostics and the company I work for made the blood cell counters, chemistry, and hemostasis systems onboard RCCL's ships and I installed a significant number of them as an onboard contractor. (a contractor boards as a passenger and is treated like a passenger for the most part)

The cruise lines do not double the prices you'd pay as a walk-up diver. It is true their profit margin is greater based on them buying dive spots in bulk.
It was never my experience the cruise divers were taken on "lesser" dives, they were taken to the same locations other divers that weren't from the ship were being taken.
Keep in mind, the cruise ship provides the transportation to the dive shop as part of their price. It's about a thirty drive in Nassau to Stuart Cove's. Same thing in Hilo and Aruba. In Panama, it was nearly an hour. In Cayman, only 10 minutes.

I've booked a couple on my own as well and they were usually $10 cheaper (except in Coz, where it was $20 ($75 versus $55). I've also had a couple dives cancelled onboard due to weather or lack of divers. When that happens, you'll have absolutely no problem getting a refund if your dive was booked through the cruise ship.

I personally have had just as good of an experience booking with the ship as I've had when I booked on my own.

And for the record, I'm not some easily impressed newb with 15 dives. I live in Fort Lauderdale and have close to 1000 dives logged the last 12 years in places like Truk, Hawaii, California, all over the Caribbean, Central America, Guam, and my backyard (Pompano Beach or the Gulf of Mexico).

I did a 2 tank dive in Grand Cayman off of the Carnival Conquest (leaves out of Galveston TX). I really enjoyed it. Of course I dive in Texas and when we get better than 10 ft of visibility we think we have died and gone to heaven. We were on a cattle boat and there must have been 20 divers on the boat but I didn't care. Of course it was my first blue water experience so it would have been hard to disappoint. YMMV.

:14: I have done 11 Cruises in past four years. So, I did some Scuba from a few of the ships when in Port. Basically, my recommendation is save your money for a real Scuba Diving Live-aboard Cruise....now that's diving!

My next trip is on the Nekton Rorqual out of Fort Lauderdale in the NW Bahamas and then 10-days in Cay Lobos. Yes, that's 17-days of diving Nekton style.

Don Wray:
Yes, I took my basic open water while aboard the Grand Princess. It was a very extensive class though and took up most of the time both while on board and on the excursions. They send you your study materials ahead of time, you turn in your knowledge reviews on day 1. On day 2, we spent 8 hours in the class room. Day 3 and 4 in the pool and did one open water dive in Playa Del Carmen and 3 dives in Cozumel. There wasn't any time for sight seeing but the course was great. They supplied all the equipment, paid for all the cab and diving fees, and got you back to the boat on time. I think it was $359 all inclusive. My instructor is now on the Carribean Princess and did a thorough job. Search for New Waves and it will give you the info.

My wife and I also got our Open water PADI certification on the Grand Princess, but we did ours back in Nov 2004. Our dives were in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The class was my wife, myself and one other student, so the class size was great, and our instructor (Megan) was great. I would highly recommend getting certifed this way, beats the heck out of doing your dives in a lake any day.

Vic

Trwmodela:
:14: I have done 11 Cruises in past four years. So, I did some Scuba from a few of the ships when in Port. Basically, my recommendation is save your money for a real Scuba Diving Live-aboard Cruise....now that's diving!

My next trip is on the Nekton Rorqual out of Fort Lauderdale in the NW Bahamas and then 10-days in Cay Lobos. Yes, that's 17-days of diving Nekton style.

I agree 100+%

CJ Waid:
Has anyone ever heard of a cruise ship offering scuba diving??? Like maybe a cruise ship that goes somewhere and has scuba as part of thier package??? I know you can't dive off the side of a cruise ship (well, your not suppose to), but I was wondering if anyone has taken a cruise on a big cruise line and heard of scuba offered???

Dove off a Princess Carribbean cruise last spring. Dove Majahual (RIP), Belize, Cozumel.

Advice: Make your own dive arrangements to save money where available. Use the ship's excursions if pricing is similar or you have concerns about the operator getting you back in time. Ship dive trips sell out--book ahead of time. Bring a rolling duffel if you bring your own stuff. I think I still have purple marks on my shoulder from standing in line trying to get back on the ship with a bag full of wet gear hanging on my shoulder.

Don't bring a knife.

JMC99:
Dove off a Princess Carribbean cruise last spring. Dove Majahual (RIP), Belize, Cozumel.

Advice: Make your own dive arrangements to save money where available. Use the ship's excursions if pricing is similar or you have concerns about the operator getting you back in time. Ship dive trips sell out--book ahead of time. Bring a rolling duffel if you bring your own stuff. I think I still have purple marks on my shoulder from standing in line trying to get back on the ship with a bag full of wet gear hanging on my shoulder.

Don't bring a knife.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, KEEP YOUR WIFE OUT OF THE SPA!!!! THAT $125 FACIAL YOU PAY FOR WILL TURN INTO $600 WORTH OF CRAP THEY SELL HER!!!

Trwmodela:

I disagree, unless you're assuming this cruise was booked for the sole purpose of diving instead of a dive liveaboard. If this is a family trip or compromise trip with non-divers, absolutely take advantage of it. What else are you going to do when the ship is in Belize or someplace similar? Sit on the boat? Get your back waxed? Shop in those stupid cruise port shops?

I also found it to be a great way to sample some dive locations to which I might want to plan a longer dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom