Cruise Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It CAN be hit or miss unless you do some research before hand. I've had pretty good experiences booking dives through the cruise line. Then again, I've NEVER paid $100 or even seen one priced high unless that price included full rental gear.

As far as profit margins, I had a dive cancelled on a stop in Cayman. The cruise line was going to charge me $85. I found Don Fosters and paid $75. The cruise also had ground transportation arranged to Red Sail so I thought they were NOT ripping anyone off (mind you they likely don't pay retail to the local operators).

If you book your own dives and run late, the ship WILL leave you. If the dive was booked through the cruise line, the ship will wait

Hey Goofystan,

Thanks for the heads up. My girlfriend and I will be going on the same trip in March. I've been doing research and calling around and we will probably end up going with those same dive shops.

For non-dive shore excursions, check out www.shoretrips.com. Several of the large travel agency groups book clients with them, and they take direct consumer bookings as well. They offer all the similar trips the ships offer, but you'll get small groups. They also offer a selection of more unique experiences and private tours. Another option is www.portpromotions.com. They've been around for at least 15 years that I know of. In some ports, they even use the same company that the ship uses.

Again, you are not booking the ship's excursion so, regardless of what the shore operator promises, take care to make sure that you will be returned to the ship in advance of the time announced to be aboard.

I'm just finishing my Coz planning for a trip in April (not a cruise) and there are sooo many dive ops there to choose from. Some cater to beginners, others family diving, others are geared to advance level divers. When you contact a dive op in Coz, be very clear on your diving level and what you are looking for service wise. They run the gamet. If they are not suited to you, they will recommend another op, which I thought was nice. They seem to be more interested that you have a good experience there even if it's not with them. I guess the thought is you'll recommend them to divers that would be a good match.

I've done several cruises and done the dive w/ cruise line. My hard core diving is kept to home. I consider cruise dives as "lookie/see" dives. Yes they are more thrugh the ship, but...
One cruise we were late leaving Miami due to bad weather throughout northeast (they were waiting for half the people to arrive). They did not make up the time to the first port, Grand Caymen. As a result of the latness, we only had time for one dive. The group that booked ahead, had to still pay the full price. Those that booked through the ship were given a credit of half the excursion price.
Another experience actually in opposite situation. When we got off the ship, we were advised the ship's operator had mechanical problems and excursion was cancelled. The ship's representative for the excursion helped the group using his cell phone to find an operator at the last minute (like we were on the dock).

Am doing Carnival 2/20 to Belieze, Roatan, Coz and GC. Will let u know how it went

I book my own dives when cruising. But this topic also goes for all the other island excursions also. Sometimes you can even find what the boat doesn't offer. One one of my cruises I booked my own scuba discovery. The boat only offered trips for certified divers.

There's many pros and cons in booking your own excursions. Some already listed here. I will bring up one. When you book a cruise, you are guaranteed a cruise - not the specific islands. If weather or another situation arises, your ship may be diverted to another island, maybe even no island. If this happens it is legit and you are owed nothing, and could possibly lose money on the dives you booked. So there is always some sort of risk booking you own excursions, which I do.

Do your research. Compare prices. Decide if the ships price is worth it. Sometimes the fact that the ship gets you to the vendor in itself adds value.

Interested in any more cruise info check out cruisecritic.com

im headed out this sun. on princess star, booked throough them at cozumel, that is the only dive im doing, mainly i have a 9, 7, 7, 8 and a 12 yr old who all want to snorkle . ill let yall know how well princess does their extursions.,

2 Bar:
If weather or another situation arises, your ship may be diverted to another island, maybe even no island. If this happens it is legit and you are owed nothing, and could possibly lose money on the dives you booked. So there is always some sort of risk booking you own excursions, which I do.
I have found that some of the dive operators I've used will refund your deposit if your ship doesn't make the stop at their island. This can more often at the islands where you have to use the tenders to go ashore, like Grand Cayman.

Going on the same cruise in May. First cruise dive. Going to stay with boat for now. Will let you know how it works for me.

Good advice. We're planning a cruise for next year and I'll keep that in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom