Crystal River (Manatees)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-n-Buoyant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any experience snorkeling w/ the Manatees? I'd like to snorkel w/ my non-diving family members and the Manatees, then SCUBA in one of the local springs.

Can anyone suggest a LDS or charter through which I can arrange the day? If I take one of the manatee tours, can I also dive later that same day close by?

Plans are to be in Crystal River February 17. Is that a good time for the 'sea cows'?

Thanks, guys!

hi... yes.... one of my favorite snorkels. February is very good (March
is the latest you should try it, as they head out when the Gulf warms up).

Two keys to seeing manatees: show up early and show up in a smallish group.

Bird's Underwater does both. It should cost you about $30.00 per person plus
gear (you need wetsuits, masks, snorkels, and fins).

also, check out my site below for some pics (in case you are
terminally bored)

as for diving, yes, you can arrange to dive King's Spring locally, or
drive less than an hour and do a drift dive at Rainbow River, or drive about
two hours to Williston and dive the Blue Grotto or Devil's Den, or drive
about three hours to High Springs and dive Ginnie Springs.

let me know when coming, and I might drive down there and snorkel
with youse guys.

I will second Birds, they do a good job. Just be ready to go early. There has been a bunch of discussion on this subject over the last 3 or 4 months, do a search on manatee or bird

Big-n-Buoyant:
Any experience snorkeling w/ the Manatees? I'd like to snorkel w/ my non-diving family members and the Manatees, then SCUBA in one of the local springs.

Can anyone suggest a LDS or charter through which I can arrange the day? If I take one of the manatee tours, can I also dive later that same day close by?

Plans are to be in Crystal River February 17. Is that a good time for the 'sea cows'?

Thanks, guys!

We used American Pro this year and had a great time! The guide knew alot and was very helpful. The best time to see them is on the coldest day so a covered boat is important. And go early or you will be with more people that manatees.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago; we went with American Pro. The diving was uninspiring but snorkeling with the manatees was great. The attached picture is my wife Deb, checking out one of the manatees.

Mike

P.S.

In order to prevent any confusion, Deb is the one on the right. Just kidding.

MikeS:
In order to prevent any confusion, Deb is the one on the right. Just kidding.

Ouch! I hope she doesn't frequent the ScubaBoard! Thanks to all the responders.... I am looking forward to this.

So is King's Spring not much to dive (convenience of sending my landlubber family on their way that afternoon while I get in some UNDER the water activity following the snorkel). I don't want to have to travel with them to another site for them to just piddle around.........

-BnB

Big-n-Buoyant:
So is King's Spring not much to dive (convenience of sending my landlubber family on their way that afternoon while I get in some UNDER the water activity following the snorkel)

the best way to dive King's Spring (IMHO) is to take the American Pro Diving Center's
manatee snorkel/guided cave dive at King's Spring.

the "spring basin" is about 25 feet deep, and rather small, perpahs
30 by 30. at 25 feet, two entrances lead to a small cave, which usually
has no visibility thanks to OW divers kicking stuff around inside.
it is a beautiful little cave, and safe if you have cavern training
or go with a guide. it only goes down to about 50 feet. i think it's worth the dive.

mind you, i would still go out with Bird's if i wanted a great manatee experience. when I've gone with Birds, we've been DONE with the dive by the time the American Pro Divers boat(s) come barging in to scare
the manatees away and muddy up the waters

:bounce:

I have gone twice with Crystal Lodge Dive Center, and been very pleased. They also have the rooms covered since the facility is on the same property as the Best Western. Contact info is http://www.manatee-central.com , (800) 435-4409.

theskull

p.s. I also agree that the Rainbow River drift dive is a good follow-up to a morning of snorkeling with the Manatees. Crystal River Lodge Dive Center can also set this up for you--it is a good drive from Rainbow River, though--over an hour if I remember correctly.

H2Andy:
the best way to dive King's Spring (IMHO) is to take the American Pro Diver manatee snorkel/guided cave dive at King's Spring......[edit] mind you, i would still go out with Bird's if i wanted a great manatee experience. when I've gone with Birds, we've been DONE with the dive by the time the American Pro Divers boat(s) come barging in to scare the manatees away and muddy up the waters

Doesn't Birds also do a dive as well as snorkel tour? BTW, are tanks rented on site?

-BnB

Big-n-Buoyant:
Doesn't Birds also do a dive as well as snorkel tour?

yes they do but i have never taken the combo. i have no reason
to believe it wouldn't be excellent (their snorkel trip sure is),
it's just that i've never done it with them. also, i remember
the Bird's combo to be a bit pricey.

Big-n-Buoyant:
BTW, are tanks rented on site?

again, i can't say for sure, but i belive they provide the tank for
the dive.

Back
Top Bottom