Crystal River Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iluvtheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anybody going to be in that area next Sat? We'll be there snorkeling with River Ventures. Anybody used them before?

OUr "go to" operator is Bird's Underwater, but we have used River Ventures when Bird's is full (Bird's referred us to them). Their guides/captains are excellent and the shop folks are really nice as well. HOWEVER, there are some things you should be aware of:

GENERAL THINGS:

It has been pretty warm up there, manatees will probably still be around but not as thick as earlier in the year.

Get the early (6:00 am) trip. This is BY FAR the optimum trip for interactions as you are the first divers of the day and the manatees are not worn out with divers or have not moved out into the Gulf to feed. Later trips in the day might be better conditions for photography, but there will definitely be fewer manatees. Even more, if the weather has been warm, the early trip is far and away the best.

SPECIFIC THINGS FOR RIVER VENTURES

1. I shoot photos with a high end rig (OM-D). We showed up with our own gear which was appropriate for what we wanted to do (7 mil suits, boat coats, hoods, etc for maximum warmth for a long time in the water) and we were plainly experienced divers. BUT they sought to enforce a "no fins" rule for all people on the boat (ie lowest common denominator theory). I explained that it was impossible to maneuver in an efficient way with the camera without fins so as not to flail my arms but they seemed to take a hard line. Before we got to the site, I talked the captain about our experience and persuaded him to let us use the fins while he observed to see that we were not idiots and he agreed. After 10 seconds he let us go on our way, fins intact. So, if want to use fins, plan to discuss this with them IN ADVANCE and maybe take a log book to show your experience.

2. Bird's (and most ops) run a 6:00 am and an 10:00 or 11:00 am trip. This means that you usually leave by 6:30 and are at the first site by sunrise (no one in the water before sunrise is one of the rules). This gives the early trip a couple of hours in the water and the chance to try a couple of sites (hence the boat coats for when we are moving between sites) if for some reason the first site does not pan out. River Ventures, however, runs a 6:00. 9:00 am and 11:00 trip. This means that, by the time you are at the site, you have just over an hour in the water. This is MUCH less than we have had with Bird's, as the pressure to return early to the dock for the next trip causes the captain to keep everyone close together and chase you down for the return trip. If you want a lot of opportunity for interaction, or time for video and photos, this is not a good thing. I assume they have adjusted their times for daylight savings since sunrise is now an hour later, but the pressure of that mid-morning trip will still keep your in-water time low.

Our trip with them was nice and the manatee interactions were great. The captain prevented any misbehavior from the snorkelers and let us do our own thing to the extent the time allowed. Part of the problem may have been that it was President's Day weekend and they were expecting an inexperienced mob and had little inclination to make exceptions to the no-fins policy. Also, all of their trips were booked solid. Maybe if they do not fill the 9:00 trips, the early ones can stay out longer. But, check with them about this before you go.

I am not "not recommending" them, but you might want to check with them about these things before you go. If they still do the three trips, you might want to check around with other ops if you want more in-water time.

wasn't really my choice to use them... someone else in the group booked it... nothing about No Fins is listed on their website. in fact :

[FONT=&amp]"For just $45.00, all gear is included, mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit[/FONT]" is quoted on their site so hmm...

i'm only going to take the gopro for now

go pro is plenty as they will be right in your face if all goes well. Also, no video lights allowed, this is the refuge regulation not their shop policy. I would call them about the fins. Maybe it was just our misfortune to hit the holiday weekend, traditionally the worst of the year in terms of crowds.

In case it came off too harsh, we did have a really good trip with them.

I was just there, so now I understand why there were so many finless people. Those were the hoards of people with pool noodles thrashing aimlessly.

As mentioned, get there early. Get there before the kicking/constant down finning destroy the vis and the manatees are chased out.

Yes, I have not seen that the no-fins approach really helps, as it just exaggerates wild leg flailing and people getting vertical and thrashing with their arms.

best thing is to require pool noodles AND ankle floats for the divers who cannot demonstrate capability with finning.

Sooo.. how was it?

fun... but bloody cold... spring was 72 and air was around 50, lot of particulate in the water but still could see... will copy some of the FB pics my wife's cousin took-- they turned out pretty ok. they provided 3mm wetsuits for everyone else -- i had my skin & 3mm and still freezing :) the capt had a hard no fin rule but provided noodles or snorkel vests and explained carefully to everyone how to move to not scare them. so none were scared off --- there were 11 of us on the boat including 4 kids. I don't have a copy of the photo cd yet.

That's a shame. A "hard" no-fins rule will definitely make us not use them again.

Which time slot did go? We are going to try to go on Monday and will have to drive an 1 1/2 to get there. I don't mind early, but the 9 am would be easier on my son. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom