CSSP - 3/10 The Quest for the GoPro Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you will forgive me for the title....I was looking for something catchy. :wink:

Although there is a lost GoPro head cam setup in this story, it's not very dramatic...but still a good, short story.

That said:

Bryan and I go to CSSP on Sat 3/10 despite the threat of rain. Rain doesn't bother us. We are diving dry. Only t-storms bother us.

We meet, setup Bryan's truck tent....yes, he is going to camp (God bless him) in the rain, cold and stormy weather. So we gear up and prepare for the dive. I've got brand new SP jet fins with Halcyon spring straps that I will be using on this dive. I'm excited, ready to work on various kicks and see what I can do. Ahem.....I bought them sized against my better judgement. I bought the new XXL jets and I wear a size 9 1/2 to 10 shoe. My DUI dry suit has turbo soles. When I put them on at my house I noticed a little "flop" when I moved my foot(feet) in them. No worries....double socks? Yeah, that was a mistake. I giant-strided into the water and the fin on my left foot popped off and spun around on my turbo-sole. Luckily, the spring strap kept it on my ankle. Bryan came over and helped me snap it back on my foot. I told him I was going to drop down and try to kick. I dropped to about 10' and couldn't even kick up! The fins were moving every way but the right way.

So I took them off, climbed out and went to get my Quattros out of my truck....in full equipment, up the hill. Yeah.

So I get back in and dive one goes smooth. Vis is 15' as we dropped to the plane. We notice the vis dropping as we approach the more "choked" area at CSSP, but nothing to worry about. We ascend, perform a modest 3 min safety stop in open water at 15' and surface to rain falling. Aha, there is the vis culprit.

We surface swim back to the platform and I climb the ladder and turn to Bryan and he says something along the lines of "Uh-oh, I lost my camera." Sure enough, the GoPro that he had mounted as a helmet cam is no longer there! :shocked2:

We get out and discuss that our first mission on the next dive is to find that camera, and then find the sailboat if we can.

After a great conversation, some hot dogs, chips and coffee that Bryan provided, (thanks again, although you should have let me kick in some $), we geared up for the dive.

We surface swim to the area we think Bryan last had the camera. We drop and I'm not kidding, he found it within 5 mins....I know, I was watching the time. Whew, a nice save for Bryan and a joke later about us being search and recovery divers (no offense intended to those who have to recover bodies...I'm just talking about recovering simple things).

Camera in hand, or on head as it where, we start our search for the sailboat. I semi-navigate back and forth between points....nothing. The rain has really started to mess up the vis. We are around 8' vis at best. I turn and point to Bryan asking him to lead.....once again, within 5 mins, he finds the sailboat. Dumb luck, he later says. Well maybe as he had not seen it before, but our grid was pretty good!

We dive around the boat, then cruise over it. I centered on the mast and signaled ascent to Bryan. I had gas left, but wanted to ascend and shoot a bearing. We came up for another safety stop at 15' and surfaced. I shot a reference to the entry point and now "should" be able to find it easily in the future.

There was another short dive in there were I was playing with my weighting (I'm still too heavy in a dry suit with steel tank), but all in all, a fun Saturday dive with plenty of stories, banter, food, drink, rain, mud, cool water, truck tent installation, incorrectly sized fins, a lost GoPro camera, a happy owner when it was found, and some crazy dude that stayed alone all night in that cold, windy environment.

Cyp

Sounds like a good time. Thanks for the report.

Oops....I forgot to add the "important" stuff.

Surface temp: 56 F

Temp at 42' : 54 F

That was somewhat surprising. After our daily high temps for the past 2 weeks, I was expecting the water to warm a little...even if only by a couple of degrees.

Vis was 15'+, as mentioned, at the start. Vis dropped to 8' after the heavy rains.

That was a great report, Dan! I had a blast diving with you. Thanks for loaning me your hood... the one I brought was giving me a carotid artery squeeze, so it really saved the day. Thanks for helping me with my fins, too. Speaking of jetfins that weren't sized exactly right, my drysuit has attached boots with a thick, wide sole, and my XL jets, while they fit, were a tight fit. I appreciate the assist getting them off, lol. I think I'm going to use some silicone on the foot pocket when I put them away tonight. You were also very kind regarding my "field-expedient" repair of using some jute/sisal twine to reattach my SPG to my swivel snap when it came loose... it had a Green Acres look to it, for sure. Thanks for the great conversations on the SI and for being an excellent, attentive dive buddy!

That was a great report, Dan! I had a blast diving with you. Thanks for loaning me your hood... the one I brought was giving me a carotid artery squeeze, so it really saved the day. Thanks for helping me with my fins, too. Speaking of jetfins that weren't sized exactly right, my drysuit has attached boots with a thick, wide sole, and my XL jets, while they fit, were a tight fit. I appreciate the assist getting them off, lol. I think I'm going to use some silicone on the foot pocket when I put them away tonight. You were also very kind regarding my "field-expedient" repair of using some jute/sisal twine to reattach my SPG to my swivel snap when it came loose... it had a Green Acres look to it, for sure. Thanks for the great conversations on the SI and for being an excellent, attentive dive buddy!

LOL....I was leaving you room to talk about that "field expedient" repair looking thingy....and your custom hood!

I've been part of one of those carotid artery squeeze moments, thanks to a hood, and I didn't like it at all. I almost called the dive until I changed hoods. I'll give you your due for diving that first one without a hood. I did notice, however, that you didn't object at all to my offer of my spare hood on the next dive. That said, aren't Waterproof Hoods awesome? :)

Great write up, glad to hear the camera was recovered, any footage?

I think this week ahead of us with an extra hour of daylight and temps in the 80's should help to warm it up a bit. I guess Ill find out when the doc clears me to get back in the water next week.

Thanks for sharing!

Tejas

Great write up, glad to hear the camera was recovered, any footage?

I think this week ahead of us with an extra hour of daylight and temps in the 80's should help to warm it up a bit. I guess Ill find out when the doc clears me to get back in the water next week.

Thanks for sharing!

Tejas

Bryan has footage....he just has to download, edit, etc. Granted, there might be some "buried in the sand" footage that he will have to edit out. I don't know if the thing was on or not when he lost it. He will have to fill us in on that. :)

That said, what I think would be cool is to see the footage when he lost it! LOL.

OK, it looks like I got all of the first dive... up to the point where I turned the camera off and put it around my wrist. Unfortunately, the camera was off by that point, so we don't get to see the spiral of it falling to the lake bed. Once we recovered it, I started filming again, but the batteries were nearly spent (probably due to the temperature), and I only got about a minute of footage. They are uploading to youtube now, and at the current rate, they should be done in about 300 minutes :) I'll post a link once they are available.

OK, it looks like I got all of the first dive... up to the point where I turned the camera off and put it around my wrist. Unfortunately, the camera was off by that point, so we don't get to see the spiral of it falling to the lake bed. Once we recovered it, I started filming again, but the batteries were nearly spent (probably due to the temperature), and I only got about a minute of footage. They are uploading to youtube now, and at the current rate, they should be done in about 300 minutes :) I'll post a link once they are available.

Well, dang...for lack of a better word. :wink:

So, did you get any of the sailboat at all?

Back
Top Bottom