CSSP Compass Bearings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharleyT

Reaction score
I've asked this on the Clearsprings Message board, but it doesn't appear to get much traffic (kind of a cheesy website if I do say so myself). So yes, this is a cross post from one site to another (sorry to those who might be offended). Anyway here is the post:

I would like to do some navigation work and wonder if some of you can help.

Would you be so kind as to post your compass bearings from point –> point? I know there may be some variance between different divers, but I would like to take a map of the lake, and overlay bearings on it to practice UW navigation. What I was hoping for were things like:

SE Stone Entry Ramp -> Cisco
SE Stone Entry Ramp -> Metal Grate
SE Stone Entry Ramp -> Wreck
SE Stone Entry Ramp -> Platform NE of Wreck (#1)

Cisco -> Metal Grate
Cisco -> Wreck
Cisco -> Platform NE of Wreck (#1)

Metal Grate -> Wreck
Metal Grate -> Platform NE of Wreck (#1)

Wreck -> Platform NE of Wreck (#1)

Platform NE of Wreck (#1)-> Next NE Platform (#2)

Next NE Platform (#2) -> Next NE Platform (#3)

Next NE Platform (#3) -> Next NE Platform (at 40’)

Next NE Platform (at 40’) -> Pair of 20’ Platforms

Pair of 20’ Platforms -> Aircraft

Aircraft -> Farthest NW Floating Dock

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charley

you wouldnt by any chance be trying to get people to make a map for you so you can slide through the divemaster course would you???

CharleyT:
I've asked this on the Clearsprings Message board, but it doesn't appear to get much traffic (kind of a cheesy website if I do say so myself). So yes, this is a cross post from one site to another (sorry to those who might be offended).

First of all, you may want to consider posting this msg in the appropriate geographical forum, I.e.: where is this dive site located? (If you post that here with a request to move your thread to the appropriate venue, one of us Mods will happily do that for you.)

2ndly, like Blackhawk9898 said, this request does sound a little "fishy" (pun intended). Why not just do it?

DSDO,

Blackhawk9898:
you wouldnt by any chance be trying to get people to make a map for you so you can slide through the divemaster course would you???

SubMariner:
2ndly, like Blackhawk9898 said, this request does sound a little "fishy" (pun intended). Why not just do it?

DSDO,

Guess it's best to reply to you both at once.

No. I just passed my NAUI Open Water last weekend. My dive buddy and I are both brand new, and would really like to learn how to do navigation (among about 100 million other things).

From my divemaster map, but they've moved the platforms and entrances since then, so they won't be much good to you.

However, from the northeast corner of the nothernmost platform, head out at 60 degrees along the edge of the rocks formation, and you'll find the elusive coffin in some fairly cold water at about 40'.

To practice, go to a float, and set your compass. Shoot for something nearby, like the grate to the boat or cisco. Submerge close to the line, and run your course. Then, reverse it underwater. Mark your heading on your map, and then move on to different, farther, target. By the time you you get the landmarks marked, you should be good enough to start some underwater navigation.

If you wanna cheat a bit, here's a link for an underwater tour: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=31402

BTW, this should probably be moved to the swampdiver's forum.

Allen42:
To practice, go to a float, and set your compass. Shoot for something nearby, like the grate to the boat or cisco. Submerge close to the line, and run your course. Then, reverse it underwater. Mark your heading on your map, and then move on to different, farther, target. By the time you you get the landmarks marked, you should be good enough to start some underwater navigation.

Thanks Allen,

We'll be out there on the 28th for the Treasure Hunt (if I can learn what that is haha). I made a Nav board based on the link you also found, going to see how well it works. When we did our work last Sunday, we didn't have a slate to document our headings. Never thought about doing the reciprocal back to the start before moving on to the next place.

Charley

Allen42:
BTW, this should probably be moved to the swampdiver's forum.

Thanks, Allen... that's where it's been moved.

also when you check in ask for a map of the underwater items, last time i went out there, it was available you just had to ask. but this map is a year old so it might not be as helpful. but it was a general directions.

as for the around the world tour i did that awhile back and it does hit most of the major attractions. now the major trick would be for tom to tell use were those gates were put that he put out for his nav course.

Tooth

Scubatooth:
also when you check in ask for a map of the underwater items, last time i went out there, it was available you just had to ask. but this map is a year old so it might not be as helpful. but it was a general directions.

as for the around the world tour i did that awhile back and it does hit most of the major attractions. now the major trick would be for tom to tell use were those gates were put that he put out for his nav course.

Tooth

I didn't realize they had something there. I'll ask when I'm out. I took your tour and turned it into an 8.5' x 5" laminated text sheet. We're due at CSSP the 28th and 29th, and I'll try it out and see how it plays out.. Thanks again for making it and sharing with others.

Charley

I heard my bell jingle.

There are still some minor issues with the compass course. Part of the problem is telling people where to start. Its not easy to describe.

There is a 5 gate compass course out there. The gates are also designed to improve bouyancy control. Someday, I'll get the time to go out and finish everything on it that I wanted to do.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom