Cuba - Where to Dive - Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KAYAMAN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Gang,:lotsalove:

I will be in Havana and Varadero, Cuba between August 24 - September 2

I was wondering where are the good diving sites in Havana and Varadero? This is gonna be my first international dive and I choice Cuba for that.

What would be the equipment to bring with me? I have completed 7 dives so far and I was thinking to bring my own equipment as in find, mask, snorkel, shoes and may be my 7mm dive suit.

So, I need suggestions where to dive in Havana and Varadero. I need some advice from and any of you people dove in Havana or Varadero before. What are your fav. places? Did you do a boat diving or off the shore?

Also, If anyone will be in Cuba that that time we can dive together!!!!

Cheers and I am looking forward to hearing from you

Al:)

LOL!!! I only have one sugestion..... Leave the 7mm @ home!!! Your not in Canada anymor.... A!!!!

It's the Carribean, trust me you wont need it!!!

My girlfriend and I went to Havana Cuba last November and had a great time but didn't dive. Would love to get back and dive!!!

Cheers...

Arranging diving in Cuba from the UK is not always that easy. Some places do not have email or internet access, everything is state run, and timetables can be a loose arrangement. I was staying in the Varadero resort in Cuba and talking to the tour rep there were two diving options: Barracuda are the biggest dive operation in the area and the rep nudged me in that direction as they have their own recompression chamber! Barracuda was based about 14km away, whereas the marina nearly opposite our hotel was 5 minutes away also had a dive centre. I opted for the latter. J

For those not in the know I am a BSAC instructor, and some 400+ dives logged. I have dived abroad once or twice over the last few years . I always take my own kit-bcd, regs, wetsuit, computer, goggles and flippers etc.

The bus collects divers from their hotel about 30 minutes after the agreed time. The routine at the dive centre was to unload everyone off the bus and go collect the dive gear, leaving me free to select the most shady part of the boat. The Divers would then struggle to assemble kit; divers with very leaky regs would then change the kit. The regs ranged from Mares to Scubapro and mk2 to mk25 regs. Most of the kit has seen better days, even mine, but at least my regs had seen the occasional service. Once the boat left the marina most divers opted for the upper sun deck. I found that you could see the dolphins just as easily from the shady lower deck

Most cylinders are fitted with two valves, A clamp and DIN, so no worries about fitting regs.

The buddy pairing was sorted out on the boat by asking for the numbers of completed dives, you can imagine….. 40, 23, 68, 7, me 400…………This caused a bit of consternation, which afterwards was verified with my instructor ticket and badge collection, and a great photo taken last year of me running a course using a twinset and stage on the submarine U90. This really broke the ice with the other instructors as we discussed dry suits, nitrox, congers and all sorts of other dive rubbish.

The boat turned out to be pretty fast, had its own full bottle of oxygen, had a chilled cabinet of water bottles supplied free and for after diving, martinis. I kid you not; one day we had rum and coke instead.

The crew were great, much time was spent ensuring that divers were going to be safe in the water, and some diver groups had additional instructors in attendance. The dive centre takes nearly anyone with a qualification. Some people could not assemble their kit and were asked to snorkel only. Heavy breathers were rebuddied during the dive! And sent up in new pairs to the surface, a neat arrangement for everyone.

The diving
Dive briefings can be brief, and given that they take place in Spanish, English, sometimes French or German I stopped paying much attention other than the depth. Keep an eye on where the dive guide is headed and enjoy the diving.

The first wreck was half an oil tanker sitting in 30m of depth. The viz was a about 40+m so one could see the entire wreck on the descent. Down on the seabed were lots of fish, purple ones, yellow ones, black and yellow fish, and orange fish with big eyes. As you may gather I like fish but not up on knowing the appropriate names.

After the surface interval of 30 minutes! Our reef dive was equally spectacular: barracuda in open water, a big hogfish (I knew that one), and trigger fish (I knew that one two).

Day two saw another reef and we found lobster, moray eel, and I really regretted not owning a digital camera.

We then dived the El Patica a small wreck followed by a reef swim. More barracuda, loads and loads of those fishes again. This dive sorted out the fit divers from the need more exercise divers.

Day three started with a reef swim where we found pipefish galore. The sponges are lovely and seemingly ignored by most of the other divers. Small critters such and gobies in their holes are fun to play with.

My final dive after the usual 30 minute surface interval was Las Morengas. At first I was not too optimistic. It was shallow in about 12m. However from the surface we could see the entire wreck layout. On the wreck we found a magnificent green moray eel, schools of fish. Really great diving.

Many of the divers were fretting about the lack of depth. I thought it was great. We could swim round a wreck, see loads of wildlife and not come remotely close to going into deco. After an hour of dive time I still had 100 bar of my initial 200 bar remaining.

I dived in late July the water was 28c and I wore a 3mm shortie, bliss.

In conclusion
Six dives costs about 155 Cuban dollars, or about £90. It helps to be a confident diver as very few buddy checks take place. Single dives are available but for the travel time, hassle, and costs, book two dives each day. Gas fills at 200 bar are decent, it paid off to acquire a second dive cylinder immediately on surfacing to avoid searching around later on. Taking your own regs, at the very least, brings peace of mind. Dive plans change daily according to weather, the range of divers or something else. Relax, this is Cuba the diving will be fun anyway.

The dive centre I used in run by Allan Garcia, he has no business cards, so not able to track down a direct phone number and I know he has no direct email. You will be able to track the centre down through Gaviota Group. This is Cuba after all.
Gaviota S.A

The boats
http://www.gaviota-grupo.com/images/...navaradero.jpg

You can find more pictures by visiting here :wink:
SCUBA in Cuba - YD Scuba Diving Forums

A few years ago my wife and I stayed at Beaches Veradero. They had a dive shop. The diving from there was not very good.

Then a few days of wind (a hurricane was nearby) and no diving. One morning I asked again at the dive op, and they sent me to dive with another shop. It may have been Barracuda. They were near the beginning of the strip of narrow land for Veradero. We took a bus to the south of Cuba. 2 to 2.5 hr ride. We then did 2 tannks of shore diving, at the Bay of Pigs. A few minutes of swim and you're to the wall. It was very good. Second dive was at a small wreck. Pretty good.

Don't need the 7mm, too hot. Some instructors were in shortie, some 3mm full. Many people dived only in skin or T-shirt and shorts. That was in Aug. though.

Oh, they use meters and celcius, not like Americans who only know feet and pounds.

Back
Top Bottom