Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doyle

Reaction score
We are considering a dive trip to Cuba next year with Scubacan. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences in Cuba or with Scubacan?

I dove a couple of times in cuba ,Santiago area,thats south Eastern Cuba
the diving was good,coral gardens..fingers of reefs
variety of smaller fish but colourful,watch out for sub par equipment if you rent!!!
visability varied from good to fair
I heard the diving at the top of the island is better
Im going to Cayo Guillermo ,near Cayo Coco
next week

happy Diving

Hi
I was interested to know if you did get to Cuba and if you did what was it like?
Marc

There was an article in the October 2001 Undercurrent that talked about some US travelers using Scubacan to go to Cuba. I believe they were caught at customs when they returned - and ended up having to go to trial or something like that.

Check out www.undercurrent.org.

I am not sure if you have to be a subscriber to view the article or not?

If you have problems send me a PM.

I would love to go to Cuba - but its still illegal for US citizens to spend money there - I'm too chicken to risk it.

Hi traveltina,

Most of the articles in the Undercurrent archives do require online membership to access, but not all. Best way to find out is to go to the website & enter the search box in the upper left hand corner of the home page. Articles on the subsequent list which are in PDF format require membership. The Oct '01 Cuba item is one of them.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I spent time in both Guardalavaca & Santiago de Cuba in March with a group from the UK, and would offer the following comments on Cuba and its diving.

We enjoyed the country but the basic infrastructure is poor - bad roads, nothing to buy, derelict housing - but the people a generally great, although they are always up for a 1 dollar bill!!!

I must admit to finding the diving disappointing - the corals were great and good condition, but most reefs topped off at 15-18 meters, so you couldn't just potter around gassing off on the top of the reef like you would say in the Red Sea.

The fish life was also extremely disappointing - almost non-existent, and obviously fished out. Like I said we were in 2 different centres on different sides of the island, so I cannot believe that the rest of the island will be any different. Pals of mine have been to both Varedero & Guardalavaca and they say that the former is even worse.

I would say that the dive centres were very friendly but you do have to take responsibility for your own safety - their kit is predominantly government owned and not always to the greatest state of repair, and the diving practices can be variable.

Don't get me wrong we had a fantastic time, but given that the Red Sea is only 5 hours away from the UK and is in every way marvellous, I don't think I will be returning to Cuba.

This is an old post, SUBACAN turned out to be SCUBA SCAM and is out of business, I think the operators went to court, not sure how it ended, but not good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom