Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pam and Stella

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A freiend of mine said the waters of Cuba were phenomenal, unspoiled and so close to US of course. Has anyone been diving there?

some@liveaboards stop off islands off Cuba...islands that are slightly out of Cuban waters. Also if you are an American sometimes it is possible to get a special permit to visit Cuba for educational/cultural reasons. If you get that permit you are even allowed to import a small amount of Cuban products such as cigars.

The Congress and the current Administration feel that U.S. policy towards Cuba should entail a continued economic boycott. Travel to Cuba by American citizens is largely illegal. Pres Bush recently stated his intention to strengthen that prohibition. We are basically talking about Florida presidential politics here.

Dont know if as a Canuck or Mex dual citizen you might be able to pull it off however.

Maybe one of the Canuck divers knows???

There is at least one Mexican liveaboard that dives Cuba. Vessels under Mexican flags are allowed into Cuban territorial waters and you do not violate our silly little rules (if opening ip trade with China was a good thing, why isn't doing the same with Cuba? I remember as a young 14 year old reading about the Cuban missile crisis and wondering why the Russians couldn't have missiles in Cuba if we could have them in Turkey. Made absolutely no sense to me... then, or now. I guess I was just a Commie sympathizer from birth).

Dr. Bill

Take a look at this link if you're interested.

http://www.oceanus.com.mx/html/oceanus.html

The Oceanus travels to Cuba under circumstances that allow US citizens to go there legally.

Americans can get into Cuba through other countries such as Canada, Jamaica, Mexico, The Cayman Islands. Just don't mention to immigration that you have been to Cuba on your return to the USA. People still have problems with US customs and immigration if they admit that they have been to Cuba.

http://www.destinationcuba.com/whocanvisit.htm

Dr. Bill, you're obviously an America hater! Go back home to Afghanistan where you belong!

Disclaimer - The above sentiment was utterred with tongue firmly in cheek.
=-)

drbill once bubbled...
(if opening ip trade with China was a good thing, why isn't doing the same with Cuba?
Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
(if opening ip trade with China was a good thing, why isn't doing the same with Cuba? I remember as a young 14 year old reading about the Cuban missile crisis and wondering why the Russians couldn't have missiles in Cuba if we could have them in Turkey.
Dr. Bill

Or Vietnam? You can now use credit cards from US based banks in Vietnam nand US-Vietnam relations are warming up.

As for missles in Turkey...there hasn't been nuclear missles in Turkey since the 60s as result of the diplomacy during the Cuban missle crisis.

U.S. gave the following.
The old nuclear missles in Turkey that were scheduled to be replaced by new ones were never replaced by updated ones. The oldones were removed.
Never invade or help an invasion of Cuba that want to overthrown the current communist government.

In response the USSR agreed to remove the missles in Cuba.

Politics aside, the current law prohibits Americans from visiting Cuba for recreational purposes, and specifically prohibits spending any money there.
Over the years there have been several schemes to try to safely circumvent the law which have largely been ignored by the government, but occasionally the law has been enforced and substantial fines levied.
None of the schemes have held up in court - their success has been due to their not breaking the horizon on the government's radar scope, not their legality.
This is not a "current administration" issue. The law was written and passed long ago - those people I know of who have been fined were all prosecuted during the previous administration. I'd be surprised if there haven't been, but if there have been any prosecutions and fines in this one I'm unaware of it. However, given the announcement last week I'd say we may soon see some, and if I'd been to Cuba lately on a dive trip I'd be less than comfortable.
Rick

Ah raviepoo, I'm like Ben Franklin. Criticism of the actions and inconsistencies of our government is our duty as citizens. Why a different policy for Cuba than China or Vietnam (especially since the diving in the former two is much worse than Cuba!!)? You were tongue in cheek but some think I'm foot in mouth! Thanks for the link to Oceanus- that was the vessel I was thinking of.

Crazed_dolphin- I was referring to my feelings in the early 60's when the missiles were there. It made no sense at the time to me.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom