Culebra, Puetro Rico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Taking my kids to Culebra Island over July 4. Thought that I'd expose them to snorkling, and maybe a chance to certify, if they show a great enough interrest. They might even start a local course here first, and finnish there. Has anyone any insights or observations on this area? Been to PR only once, as a teenager, and the closest I've ever dived was St. Thomas also quite a long time ago. Good operators (or those to avoid!)? Thanks, Jim

well... all i can say is, if you are taking your kids to a place called "Snake Island,"
you're braver than me :eyebrow:

i've only ever heard good things about Puerto Rico. should be an awesome time.

H2Andy:
well... all i can say is, if you are taking your kids to a place called "Snake Island,"
you're braver than me :eyebrow:

i've only ever heard good things about Puerto Rico. should be an awesome time.
Thanks for the "heads up" on the name of the island. Snakes though, probably have more to fear from my teenagers than the other way around, and the snakes and I are both lucky that US Customs wont let us bring home any of the wildlife! Between their Mom's place and mine the kids could fill the Ark twice. They haven't been to the Carribean since they were too young to dive, so this will be my kid's first real experience with reef diving/snorkling and I'm hoping that this experience will hook them into my favorite sport. Jim

gypsyjim:
Snakes though, probably have more to fear from my teenagers than the other way around, and the snakes and I are both lucky that US Customs wont let us bring home any of the wildlife!

lol...

have you checked out this place? i just did a quick google:

http://www.islaculebra.com/index.htm

Don't know why the name Culebra but in 28 yrs visiting the island, I haven't seen a single snake there, if you find one, it may be the local non poisonous puertorican black snake, it'll be more afraid than you for sure.

As for dive operators, I don't know who operates from the island, but I know there are 2 dive shops and probably some other operators in the island so diving from Culebra should not pose any problems at all.

I usually embark my diving trips from Fajardo (PR east coast town) and return to Fajardo for the drive back to San Juan.

My favorite operator is Sea Gypsy Chartes, it departs from Villa Marina dock in Fajardo and will take you to some good dive sites, will have sodas and snacks all day long and on the way back (after diving has ended) to Fajardo rum and beer if you like. Cptn. Hector "Tito" Angueira is a PADI instructor and very profesional in his operation.

You can reach him at 787-383-8066. If you buzz me, I may be able to tag along and dive with you if you wish.

Enjoy the beautiful Island of Puerto Rico and the very pristine Island of Culebra.

Mandy3206:
Don't know why the name Culebra but in 28 yrs visiting the island, I haven't seen a single snake there, if you find one, it may be the local non poisonous puertorican black snake, it'll be more afraid than you for sure.

As for dive operators, I don't know who operates from the island, but I know there are 2 dive shops and probably some other operators in the island so diving from Culebra should not pose any problems at all.

I usually embark my diving trips from Fajardo (PR east coast town) and return to Fajardo for the drive back to San Juan.

My favorite operator is Sea Gypsy Chartes, it departs from Villa Marina dock in Fajardo and will take you to some good dive sites, will have sodas and snacks all day long and on the way back (after diving has ended) to Fajardo rum and beer if you like. Cptn. Hector "Tito" Angueira is a PADI instructor and very profesional in his operation.

You can reach him at 787-383-8066. If you buzz me, I may be able to tag along and dive with you if you wish.

Enjoy the beautiful Island of Puerto Rico and the very pristine Island of Culebra.
Thank you. Just started planning this trip in the last two days, so everthing is now just in the early stage, but flight's booked and we'll be there July 1. The rest I'm only now starting to look at. Fajaro and spearfishig, eh? Who knows, I don't plan too far ahead but you've got me thinking. Jim

I was in Culebra in March. (Took the ferry from Fajardo) I absolutely loved this little island. It was almost deserted. I did a little snorkeling from the beach. I did not get a chance to go scuba diving there because the local dive shop said it is booked in advance. If planning to scuba dive in Culebra, you might want to book your dive now.

Thanks for the heads up. I believe the only dive operator on Culebra is Culebra Divers(?), and I will contact them, as you suggest. Hate to be shut out of diving, as that is why we're going there. Both my kids finnished their OW this month, especially for this trip. We're there for a week so I don't expect to be closed out, but why risk it? How was the snorkling? I have heard a lot of good about this island for snorkling and dives on fairly shallow reefs. Thanks for the tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom