Curacao Dec/17 - groceries late on a sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello all
i hope this is ok to post here.
we are planing our first trip to Curacao this dec. will be doing some much anticipated shore diving along the northwest coast and the south west coast.
my question would be for any divers here who know the island well.
we are arriving on a sunday afternoon. getting a rental car. then driving from the airport to Lagun for our first week of two.
my concern is that it seems most grocery stores close early on sunday. does anyone know of a decent place to at least get the basics (rum, beer, milk, eggs, bread etc) that would be on the way to Lagun.
we are hoping to avoid having to use out first full day on the island driving all the way back to town to get provisions.
i did find one super market open til midnight (according to google anyway) but it is way out of the way.
any suggestions appreciated
thx
rick

Did you check the hours for the Centrum market?

Did you check the hours for the Centrum market?

someone said 5pm....someone else said 6pm. i am not expecting to be out of the rental car place til arounf 5pm .
i found a mini mart called "82" that is on the way and close to the airport. i think that is my back up plan for now in case we cannot hit a real super market.
was just hoping someone who has been here before may have some helpful ideas
rick

Centrum closes at 5 on Sunday. If you get up early on Monday, they open at 7:30am-730pm M-Sat.
Cost-U-Less in that area also closes at 1PM on Sunday.

It's the better part of 40mins. drive or so from Lagun. At Centrum they used to recycle styro packing boxes to use for temporary transport back to Lagun - on top of the freezers and $1. I also recall we were able to buy dry ice there but it's been more than a few years.

For nearby dinner Sun. Night, Bahia has a nice cliffside grille overlooking Playa Lagun. Open every night IIRC - Bahia beach bar - Bahia Apartments & Diving

if you want to go out of your way from the airport on Sunday - Van Den Tweel - Zeelandia is 20mins. east of the airport rotary. Open 8-8 every day. Van den Tweel Supermarket Zeelandia - Curaçao - Van Den Tweel Groep

Check with the people you're renting from, many properties in that area and farther west offer pre-stocking of basics b4 you arrive because it's a common problem.

We spent a few days in Lagun diving. Discover Diving at the entrance is handy for tanks sicne they have a pcikup truck height loading area. There's a restaurant there also but they close early on Sunday. Bshia also has a dive shop on-site but it's a lot of stairs down...

Also don't miss Playa Jeremi on the north end of town, it's IMO the better of the two local dives. Although you'll likely see more turtles off Lagun since they eat what the fishermen discard there. Bring everything you need to Jeremi - it's one of few sites with no facilities. Easy beach entrance though down some wide stairs from the parking area.

Last edited:
I think that at the time you're coming in you're not going to have much luck with the main supermarkets on a Sunday. Your best bet is to stop at one of the numerous Chinese mini markets that are on the main road heading up to Lagun. They tend to stay open later. As for rum, I would hit the duty free on your way in and if you forget there is one in the luggage reclaim area of the airport. Also, like diversteve says, check your accommodation. They may do a basic welcome package.

On you way to Lagun just before Tera Cora there are two "bigger" Chinese mini markets. They will be open till 9/10 PM.

We stopped at one of these mini markets near Tera Cora when we arrived late afternoon on New Years Eve. We were able to pick up the basics: wine, beer, yogurt, bread, cheese, etc. Don't expect much in the way of fresh veggies, fruit, meats. Between the stop and what we brought, six of had enough for breakfasts, lunches and dinners for a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom