Curacao vs Bonaire ease of use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
RumJunkie

RumJunkie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just curious, for SBers that have visited both fine ABC island locations. Is entry and swim out to structure just as easy and user friendly in Curacao as Bonaire? The only thing that gave use any bit of caution when shore diving in Bonaire was the rock hopping at some of the dive sites. Cautious moves and we were fine. Is the transition similar in Curacao, or more of sand type entry (preferred) and then a swim out to structure?

Just curious, for SBers that have visited both fine ABC island locations. Is entry and swim out to structure just as easy and user friendly in Curacao as Bonaire? The only thing that gave use any bit of caution when shore diving in Bonaire was the rock hopping at some of the dive sites. Cautious moves and we were fine. Is the transition similar in Curacao, or more of sand type entry (preferred) and then a swim out to structure?
The beaches are more beachy in Curacao, less iron shore. +

Sites are further apart and less accessible on Curacao -

Many sites have beach bars and dive shops on Curacao +

On Curacao the beaches are often small bays, if you fail to recognize an increase in current during a dive, you can miss your exit the shore line between these sites can be cliffs so... -

The swim outs are roughly equivalent the topography and marine life are fairly similar. There is more to do topside on Curacao, but there is more traffic and people. I like them both alot. If I were going to live on one for months at a time, it would probably be Curacao, for a week or two vacation Bonaire.
Screenshot_20220518-133504.png

Good morning from Curaçao!
1st of all... I love diving in Bonaire but since we live/work here in Curaçao we developed this handy Curaçao shore diving guide plus our picks for the Top 10: Curacao Shore Diving Guide and Top 10 Shore Dives | Dive News Curaçao

Overall:
Curacao is laid out in a way that makes the southern side of the island almost perfect for shore diving. Thanks to the geographic location, the winds in the area come from the Northeast, meaning that almost the entire southern shoreline is protected from heavy sea winds. The lack of strong winds means that divers can get their feet wet almost any time of year, and the diving from shore is calmer and safer.

On the south side of the island, the fringing reef in most cases is within 60-feet (20m) from the shoreline which leads to incredible drop offs that allow divers to venture a little bit deeper into the aquatic wonderland. Of the seventy popular dive sites the island has available, over half of them are reachable from the shore.

Quick Tip: Similar to Bonaire, renting a truck is a very useful tool and believe me - there is a lot to explore in Curaçao. Especially on the west side!

Oh... lastly, here is our all in one Curaçao Dive Travel Guide that may offer you some excellent tips and useful advice.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more information or we can be service to you. Always happy to assist in any way we can.

Thanks for replies, all booked up now for August. And, after reaching the end of the internet, we decided on Lagoon Blou for lodging and rental vehicle. Two of three ABC islands soon to be checked off!
Awesome, have a great trip, be sure to post a review, when you return.

Per their website, a 40-minute drive from Willemstad. I see it's on the west coast, though not as far northwest as some other offerings. Please let us know how the diving is on the house reef. Do you plan to do any boat dives?

Richard.

Is every one on the trip a diver? I wouldn't limit your self to just the house reef. I would try to get out to few nearby sites. Porto Marie is a don't miss in my book. Go after breakfast do dive, hang on the beach, have lunch at the bar, do second dive, then have a few cocktails or beers and watch the sunset.

PC230197.JPG

Stayed at Lagun blou twice. Beautiful property and location. House reef is the reef at playa Lagun. Access from the property from stairs in the cliff and metal ladder
Very nice. Sand shallows from the cliff to the reef with plenty to see including rays. Don't overlook diving along the cliffs in both directions. There is a nice cave to the left.
Tips. If you plan on using your kitchen, pick up groceries on your arrival day on the ride from the airport to LB. Preferably centrum market depending upon your needs. Just ask the driver if using the LB shuttle ride.
Cas abou beach and shore dive in the direction of the city and playa kalki aka Alice in wonderland shore dive in the other direction highly recommended. Both have on site dive shops which are both recommended.
Cactus restaurant in westpunt. Not to be missed.

Enjoy!

One of the best dives on the island may be watamula. Only a boat dive and go west does it once a week. Check their website for the schedule. They do it as a two tank going to another site first.

Pro tip: if you only want to do watamula, if you have four divers they will do it as one tank pm dive or if they have room on the two tank just ask to do it as a one tank picking you up at the dock when the boat stops between dives. We have done it both ways

Back
Top Bottom