Curious about drysuits. How dry are they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a real world rule of thumb.............mostly dry, always warm. I prefer a neoprene drysuit, but I don't dive really deep where that could be an issue due to the neo compressing. I have 2 Oneil 5mm neos. I installed P-valves in both, myself. Other than sweat, little water gets in. My first cave instructor (Pat Watson) stated it this way......"You can either be dry or warm, can't have both" That is mostly true. I have not flooded a suit since the mid 90's so a little water is no big deal. A bit in the wrist or neck is hardly an issue.

We've been using Whites Fusion drysuits and I would highly recommend trying/renting one before buying another drysuit. I've never dove another brand so I can't compare, but we love them, and have heard they tend to fit the best off the rack :)

In short, think of them as "warm, moist" suits.

Beats "cold and wet" every time.

the only "wetness" that i have experienced is my sweat.
July in Ga and Al at the quarry

As I have stated in other threads, I have been with Viking for thirty years, and in all that time I have never gotten wet, or damp. I usually wear a ffm, with the Viking rings and five finger gloves. If things get a little hectic, I'll throw on a pair of carhartt overalls. They're cheaper than a new suit, protect all the right places, and give me a few more pockets.

Had Trelleborg not made some business decisions that I am not too happy with, I still be with them to this day.

I've been diving around Sweden with my dry suit, a Ursuit Heavy-Light Rescue. When I use dry gloves I'm completely dry. If I use wet suit gloves it can get a little bit wet around my wrists. Not so much that it gets uncomfortable or even annoying.

Good luck!
/Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom