Current Visibility Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am heading up to Hood Canel tomorrow for 3 days of diving. I sure hope it is one of those times Bob says it clears up a bit. It is a crap shoot diving but enjoying the great weather and the friends makes it all worth.

Charles

NWGratefulDiver:
It cycles, Ben. The plankton blooms, then it dies off. You'll get pea soup for a while, then it'll clear up for a few days, then it's pea soup again.

Unfortunately, the cycles aren't predictable ... not that I've been able to notice, at least.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the reply, Bob. That gives me some encouragement that when I come over in July or August there's at least a chance. The visibility was so awesome on my first trip (March30-April1) that I might have been spoiled for good.

-Ben M.

Nailer99:
I buddied up with a pier pilling at Mukilteo for a while this afternoon during my safety stop. After a couple minutes, I started wondering why he wasn't moving; then I noticed that he was much taller than I remembered.....

:lol: :lol:

I didn’t dive during the week, but thought last weekend was pretty good (for this time of year). At all locations we had at around 10 ft vis. (at least below 40fsw). I must have hit it just right in the cycle Bob mentioned? I am still optimistic for some good summer diving (a little deeper perhaps).

Last weekend
Saturday:
(vis. = 10 ft + at all sites)
Pt. defiance wall 60-100fsw
Zee’s reef 45-60fsw
Dalco Wall 70-90fsw

Sunday: probably more like 7-10 ft vis. (once you got below 50 ft)
Three Tree (N) 60-80fsw
Note: Very cruddy at this site above 40fsw (3-5 ft vis)

Dove Dalco Wall yesterday for the first time. The visibility at depth was excellent - probably 25 feet (not so good on top of the shelf). Not a huge amount of life on the wall, but nice variety - couple wolfies in a den, swimming scallops, kelp greenling, etc. The real star of the dive was the wall itself. It seemed to just keep going, vertically and horizontally. What a great site.

Dalco was my first real wall dive. I loved the sensation of flying over the edge of the "cliff".

I need to do some more boat diving . . .

TSandM:
Dalco was my first real wall dive. I loved the sensation of flying over the edge of the "cliff".

I need to do some more boat diving . . .
Have fond memories of Dalco ... Kalvyn (Jimmie) and I were diving it once when a large octopus came crawling down the wall at about 80 fsw. Spooked it when we shined out lights on it, at which point it kicked off the wall, flared out like a parachute, and disappeared down into the darkness.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Same here. My first time there we ran into a large Wolf Eel out hunting and swimming vertically up the wall as we were descending. The wall is the star of that dive usually.

Mukilteo on the small AM exchange provided some very good viz by Puget Sound standards. Below 60' we had at least 25' and maybe more.

I don't know how many more divers those waters could take but it was a blast doing the crab thing. Many boats and many, many divers.

Viz: Outstanding

Sasquatch:
I don't know how many more divers those waters could take but it was a blast doing the crab thing. Many boats and many, many divers.

On re-reading this post I realize that it didn't come out right. I didn't mean to say the site was at capacity, rather that there were plenty of divers there.

Parking never became an issue nor did we see crowds underwater. On easing up through the pilings I checked on my buddies and slowly continued on, secure that we were still a group, untill I noticed my right-side "buddy" had a can light mounted on his hand!

We had merged our groups for a moment or two. Amusing. If the viz hadn't been so good I'm sure I would have stayed with them. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom