Custom dive knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My father in-law is looking into making custom knives after he retires. I mentioned custom dive knives may be worth looking into. I wanted to do an inquiry into how divers feel about the subject. Do you feel you would seriously consider a (possibly more expensive) custom knife or would you prefer a mass produced knife?

There are a lot of dive knives on the bottom. They have a tendency to get lost, my attitude is that mine will get lost sooner or later. I don't think I'd use a stainless Randall as a dive knife, for fear of losing it, same with any other custom knife.

Here's the specs for the current "Randall made" dive knife and these aren't even made by Bo Randall

Model 16 "Diver's Knife" -- 7" blade of 1/4" stainless steel stock. Top cutting edge sharpened. 4 1/2" Black Micarta handle, similar to model 14 and 15. (Green micarta handle material available upon request.) Brass hilt, single or double, (please specify). Wrist thong through brass ferrule in handle. (Name etching, name plate, sawteeth and nickel silver hilt only extra features available.) Designed especially for heavy duty salt water use, this knife is as nearly indestructible as possible. Top of blade in top of hilt notched for thumb psupplied. (Please specify)
Price: $310
lacement. (Wt. 14 oz.) A special wax impregnated belt loop sheath or nylon sheath

DennisS:
Price: $310

$310!? I'd rather dump that kind of cash towards a tank.

I agree that expensive custom dive knives probably wouldn't be a hit, but who knows? There are a lot of people out there just looking to spend money, especially on a gadget heavy activity like scuba.

Just sayin' that from my experience, the most scuba related items I've found on the bottom have been dive knives and weights.

I guess these people who buy those knives don't know that there is a law that states that the odds of you losing the knife is directly proportionate to the price of said knife.....

Cheaper is better in the world of dive knives.

As an off again, on again knife collector, I can't imagine carrying a custom piece under water. I think that most divers want a cheap, utilitarian knife/cutting device that they won't sweat if they loose it. I have a Tekna dive knife from the 80s that I won't dive with for fear of dropping it:). BTW, the $310 that you pay for a production Randall won't get you in the door for a true custom knife from a reputable knife maker - it might get you a handmade knife from a new or unknown knifemaker, but for a true one off custom from a well known maker, well, open your wallet.

Jackie

you can get one of these for between $20-$40 USD,

Folding, Titanium, with Linecutter.

99% of all dive knives are a complete waste of money, you need something that works, not something that looks good.

Just my 2c

Thanks for your comments. He's more interested in something to entertain him in retirement rather than making profit. I'll leave him to the surface dweller market unless he wants to make a bubble blower one. My own cost $9 used. When I bought it, I needed one but didn't see the point in paying big dollars for something that worked just as well as the cheap one. So I guess I reflect the market.

I loose the same knife 2-3 times a year in the St Clair river, I have to go find it again when it gets a warmer out , I have a friend that has a new $80.00 Poseidon in the same area.

Does your F-I-L have any experience making knives? Is he also planning to make the sheath to accompany the knife?

All a dive-knife needs to be is a sharpened slab of steel. It does not need to be fancy, it does not need scales, etc. Limiting the knife to what it needs will also keep the price reasonable.

Green_Manelishi:
Does your F-I-L have any experience making knives? Is he also planning to make the sheath to accompany the knife?

All a dive-knife needs to be is a sharpened slab of steel. It does not need to be fancy, it does not need scales, etc. Limiting the knife to what it needs will also keep the price reasonable.

My brother in law has made several and my F-I-L became interested in it as a hobby. He was looking for something after he retires in the next month. He is avoiding forgings or anything with loud drop hammers (residential operation). He does have small furnaces for heat treatment. Mostly he was looking at a cut and grind operation. When I said more expensive, I wasn't thinking top of the line. I was thinking cheap models of mass prod versus hand made but reasonably priced. I'll probably have him make me one and then see if there is interest based on the price he would need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom