Custom dive knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I,ve been using the Buck Intrepid (the shorter model) for several years and have been happy with it- but would hate to lose it! Also use a Spyderco Rescue as a backup clipped to my harness.

Rick

Dearman:
I think I remember that cake. If I recall correctly, my family thought it was a great idea until we ate some.

It's sad I know. I'm not being cyncal either, merely bravely laughing in the face of tragedy.

all the best.

I have used only cheap knives so far -- and 2 out of 3 have been very good. The problem is the sheaths rather than the knives. A good quality, well designed, low profile sheath might be a better bet than custom knives.

That said, I have now learnt several tricks to help avoid loosing knives (I lost one -- really nice design & construction & cheap) and might get something a little better next time. I can't ever see spending more than 20 pounds ($36) on even a very good dive knife -- and I usually spend less than half that. However, the Riffe (speargun) clientelle must be "well minted" (US doctors & dentists?) -- I reckon they would happily pay 2x or 3x what I would, if the design & quality was right -and a customer service would presumably offer to make the clients design. Spearfishermen after the real big fish -- probably look on a very good knife as an essential tool rather than a luxury. Spearo knives tend to be pointed, stillettos are a good design -- like an old British WWII command knife, but flatter with one serrated blade & one plain. There are only a few good ones about, the Sporasub Snake dagger (with zinc pommel to resist corrosion) is about the right size & shape, several companies make ones which seem good but a bit small to me (OMER, Rob Allen, Riffe, Imersion):

http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/shop_knives.html

I don't think a line cutting notch is necessary or desirable on a thin blade like this -- a strong, sharp edge and a serrated back & no-loss low profile sheath should be enough. I like a biggish blade as I clean my fish with my dive knife -- boat-based spearos after big fish may carry separate tools (including saws!), so you might want to talk to them about their needs. BTW I have heard some spearo's hammer their fish with the pommel to finish them off (unusual though). Spearo's also sometimes carry an ice-pick type tool, for a quick, clean coupe de grace -- instead of a stilletto (although a dive knife would probably still be a good idea). There are some cheap home-made designs to be found on the internet forums -- but a few comapnies sell good ones - Rob Allen among then.

If he can make me something like a Sporasub Snake, with a serrated back & decent flat sheath for under 20 pounds -- contact me! :wink:

4" blade very thick more crowbar than knife. FLAT one piece steel with some sort of scales. That would be what I'd like to see. A Kydex type sheath with some sort of stout retainer.

Back
Top Bottom