Custom Semi-dry Wetsuit with Relief Zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWDawgDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are considering having custom wetsuits made this year by Auqaflite. My daughter had them make a suit for her (farmer john and vest) a number of years back and has been very happy with it. She was diving in the Pacific Northwest and so both with 7mm thick.

We are thinking of having a 5mm and a 7mm suit make with skin seal wrist and ankle cuffs and other details that limit the intrusion of water. So I guess these would end up being Semi-dry wetsuits. We are considering having relief zippers installed but want to know what other people's experiences have been.

Full disclosure, we go down fully hydrated to help prevent cramps and other issues underwater, so we pee in our suits. We have no issues with it and it has never caused a problem with our wetsuits that each have about 150 dives on them. But we are wondering as we move to a more sealed suit with less water flowing in and out, should we add a relief zipper. We don't want to go so far as using Pee valves or She-P valves.

For those who have used relief zippers, how do you like them? Is yours installed vertically, horizontally, or diagonally? Is the zipper head on the top or bottom, left or right? Do you find the zipper head creates a pressure point when trapped under straps and such? Any downsides from zippers failing, stress points on the suit, too much water flushing even when closed?

Finally, for men, do you use the relief zipper like you would standing at a urinal, or do you just use the relief zipper to provide a little extra water flushing in that area? For women who use a relief zipper, has it worked effectively for you?

Thank you in advance for advice on this well worn topic or scuba diving and peeing.

Kevin

I currently dive a semi dry and have never warmed it up while diving, even when I was suffering through a 50 min scooter dive in 52-53° water. There is so little water transfer that you'd be swimming in your piss and I choose not to. I did and do when I'm wearing a standard wetsuit. While I wait on my made to measure drysuit in still diving my hollis 8/7/6 semi-dry. I've added a hoodless vest to keep the chill off and neo socks for in my boots. I'm comfortable in 90% of dives so long as I'm fining and not behind a scooter. A relief valve in a wetsuit would be fantastic for post dive bladder pains.

I had Terrapin Wetsuits in Texas install a relief zipper. I believe it is not perfectly vertical but rather slightly diagonal. Anyway, it is not all I had hoped it would be. It's not that it's uncomfortable, just difficult to use. For one thing, it's difficult to reach the zipper. I have to get out of horizontal trim (I guess that goes without saying) and bend my torso to reach the zipper. But bending my torso bends the zipper, and while a straight zipper works easily, a bent or curving zipper is more difficult. After some contortion, I can open it (or close it). It is not graceful.

Finally, for men, do you use the relief zipper like you would standing at a urinal, or do you just use the relief zipper to provide a little extra water flushing in that area?
If I did not wear a swim suit under my wetsuit, I could easily use it like when at urinal through a pants zipper. But I found it awkward if not impossible to reach into the relief zipper past the waistband of my swim suit. It's difficult to explain. The zipper opens fine, but the surrounding wetsuit is still tight against my skin. It's possible that if I were to wear a speedo or something, instead of board shorts or jammers, I could do this maneuver. Anyway, I ended up using it the second way you mentioned: to help with flushing as an extra point for the water to exit. That is, let water in through the neck seal and flush it out the relief zipper.

In hindsight, at least for me, the relief zipper is more trouble than it's worth. I can live with the smell of pee from my wetsuit and pretend I cannot smell the pee from my fellow divers' wetsuits.

Would it have been better if the relief zipper was horizontal instead of vertical?
For one thing, it's difficult to reach the zipper. I have to get out of horizontal trim (I guess that goes without saying) and bend my torso to reach the zipper. But bending my torso bends the zipper, and while a straight zipper works easily, a bent or curving zipper is more difficult. After some contortion, I can open it (or close it). It is not graceful.

I thought relief zippers were designed with the intent of surface interval use.

I think what you're looking for is a pissette:

1668521430502.png

I thought relief zippers were designed with the intent of surface interval use.

They are used on wetsuits for people that stay for long time u/w as not to have your pee accumulate inside your suit while you are wearing it. Free divers use them (I think called "pisset") in their freediving suits.

Would it have been better if the relief zipper was horizontal instead of vertical?
I have no idea. It seems like it may vary by individual preference as to what location/orientation makes it easier to use. Maybe the idea of diagonal is to provide a greater access range (flexibility)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom