Custom wetsuit - Boggled by neoprene types sold by different custom wetsuit companies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi widget!

Well, more input never hurts, especially if anyone in the same position reads this thread in future.

If I'm understanding correctly, the suit I ordered doesn't have a double fabric cover. It has fabric on the outside, and then a plain "skin" on the inside. This is supposed to be a feature because the "skin" bonds better with one's own skin, and so less water gets in (which makes it warmer). Also, there is nothing to need to dry on the inside of the suit between dives. (Of course, as you say, double fabric is probably fine too.)

You will be happy with a "skin in" suit. Mine have served me well.

Tobin

One advantage to a skin in suit is that after removing it, your not slipping back into a cold wet suit
One disadvantage to a skin in suit is that redonning it while your still wet can require some "slippy" to get it on

After lowering my regularly lined suit and redonning it after a surface interval, it's COLD
I would gladly settle for it being a little harder to redonn if was dry and warm :)

Hi widget!

Well, more input never hurts, especially if anyone in the same position reads this thread in future.

If I'm understanding correctly, the suit I ordered doesn't have a double fabric cover. It has fabric on the outside, and then a plain "skin" on the inside. This is supposed to be a feature because the "skin" bonds better with one's own skin, and so less water gets in (which makes it warmer). Also, there is nothing to need to dry on the inside of the suit between dives. (Of course, as you say, double fabric is probably fine too.)

I didn't specifically seek out this material, but it sounds good. I'll report back about how I like it after I have it and have taken some dives with it.

Trivial side notes: When I used to make sprayskirts, wetsuits, and booties with sheet neoprene, for kayking, it was "nylon 1" material. (This was all pre-Internet, so who knew the origins of what we were getting or how to compare it to what others were doing.) We used it skin side in for easy don/doffage and simply glued in the seams and zippers. Other people had "nylon 2" material, and that seemed very cool and fancy, but also less stretchy (they also had... gasp... colors). I suppose this has probably changed with Lycra and etc. which would be more stretchy.

I understand that the skin side is more damage prone, but I never had any problems with that, and we certainly weren't overly careful with our kayaking gear. However, we were never more than a few feet underwater, so compression wasn't even a thought.

At some point windsurfing became popular and then all of a sudden you could buy wetsuits ready-made, with colors and thread stitching and everything! (We didn't look to dive wetsuits at the time because they were all rather thick neoprene.) It got to the point where I felt old when someone looked at mine and said... "You can make a wetsuit?" :dork2:

B.

Just make sure you have your wetsuit lube. I don't know if they told you abpout this, but you are going to need a spray bottle filled with about 1/4 hair conditioner and 3/4 water. If it's too slimey reduce it down a little more with water.
Don't try and pull on a skin in suit without lube, it's nearly impossible and you can tear up the skin side.
Some people use baby shampoo but a nice smelling hair conditioner is what I prefer.
Skin in suits won't be prone to stinking like nylon lined suits because they dry quickly and don'tm mildew.

Hi widget!

I didn't specifically seek out this material, but it sounds good. I'll report back about how I like it after I have it and have taken some dives with it.

B.

Sure, you are absolutely correct, I guess what I really meant was rather first make sure on the neoprene thickness, jersey or nylon (or skin) covering, cut and stitch, fit and model before you worry too much about the neoprene from the differant manufacturers, as I said, they are all very good and you would be pleased with any of them.

Today, skin in suits are really very sophisticated, and the modern "glide" skins available make it a "cinch" to get into and out of the suit, plus,(as you rightly mention) providing a snugger skin fit.

The modern glide skins (which I feel sure you will get) do not require much, if any lubing up, maybe just a little on your hand and feet to facilitate easy entry into the suit, unlike the old "open cell" type suit which was very popular with the spearfishing
community and required a serious amount of lube and effort to get into and out of. Glide skins have a slippery coating on the neoprene surface (hense the term glide)which makes it very comfortable and easy to put on.

Of course these suits also require a little extra care to avoid tears and cuts,and eventually the "glide" covering wears off which will then require extra "lubeing up" (but wont affect the suits thermal capabilities) all of which makes them somewhat less "robust" than the standard double nylon type suit which can pretty much withstand anything you can throw at it.

Theres always a bit of a trade off unfortunately.:D

All in all though, I think you have chosen well, it sounds like an ideal set up for your type of diving. I am sure you will be more than pleased.

Last edited:
widget,

I understand your point, and thanks for the info. Thinking back think it was the combination of all the different types of neoprenes, plus all the different thicknesses, suit styles, and custom companies (and, since they are all far away, the lack of ability to just pop in and see what they were offering) that really had me boggled.

Even though I ordered the Oceanliner suit, I didn't realize or that it could/would wear off. I never buy non-stick pans for that very reason (not that I take those diving). And.... special lube to put a wetsuit on? Gaaah. Having to carry along and use something like that would drive me nuts.

Of course I've already ordered the suit, so there's no turning back at this point - might as well just find out how it works :cool2: Interestingly my other top wetsuit material choice was the TPlush, which seems like the opposite theory to the Oceanliner - a bit more bulk on the inside and a terry-cloth-like texture as opposed to no bulk and skin-like. In the end I really wasn't sure which one to order.

Coincidentally, I've just finished reading the entire, humongous, yet-strangely-addicting "What equipment did you buy but later regret" thread. Let's hope I don't end up posting about the wetsuit there! :dork2:

Like you say, most features have both their good and bad points, and some of it clearly boils down to personal preference :)

B.

widget,

I understand your point, and thanks for the info. Thinking back think it was the combination of all the different types of neoprenes, plus all the different thicknesses, suit styles, and custom companies (and, since they are all far away, the lack of ability to just pop in and see what they were offering) that really had me boggled.

Even though I ordered the Oceanliner suit, I didn't realize or that it could/would wear off. I never buy non-stick pans for that very reason (not that I take those diving). And.... special lube to put a wetsuit on? Gaaah. Having to carry along and use something like that would drive me nuts.

Of course I've already ordered the suit, so there's no turning back at this point - might as well just find out how it works :cool2: Interestingly my other top wetsuit material choice was the TPlush, which seems like the opposite theory to the Oceanliner - a bit more bulk on the inside and a terry-cloth-like texture as opposed to no bulk and skin-like. In the end I really wasn't sure which one to order.

B.

Yes, it eventually dos wear off unfortunately, the constant abrasion on the skin pulling it on and off is the problem, but I have to say a good comparison was the non stick pan :wink: - Yeah, sadly, little lasts forever.

But on the positive side it wont happen overnight and doing 20/30 dives a year you should be good for a few years anyway.

Another point you may want to remember is try to limit folding your suit and rather hang it up if possible, skin tends to retain folds easier due to the lack of a re-enforcing layer like the nylon or fleece provides, so folding your suit may well result in a crease on the skin side, whereas the nylon side will be fine.

Enjoy, I surely doubt you will be posting on the regretable purchases post :D

widget,

Coincidentally, I've just finished reading the entire, humongous, yet-strangely-addicting "What equipment did you buy but later regret" thread. Let's hope I don't end up posting about the wetsuit there! :dork2:

Like you say, most features have both their good and bad points, and some of it clearly boils down to personal preference :)

B.

Get some spray lube as others have mentioned, always helps.

Does the slippery coating wear out? Maybe, but you will be damn lucky to dive enough to wear out the coating before either age (of the suit) or repetitive compression causes you to retire the suit, or relegate it to only warmer water diving.

Wetsuits are after all a consumable. Storing on a wetsuit hanger in a cool place will help, hang to dry out of the sun.

Tobin

I don't care for spray lube, I use baby shampoo cut 1/2 and 1/2 with water as a "suit entry" lubricant.

I have a custom G-231 skin two suit-hood attached, no zip. It keeps me toasty warm in my home waters in Northern California. It drys quickly and is very flexible. Like Thal I use a half and half mix with baby shampoo. The suit slides on easily and is good to go in a flash. I think the OP made a wise choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom