Cutting Silicone Wrist Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I did some searching and found this thread, but it really didn't get me anywhere;
How much to trim drysuit wrist seals?

I have just bought silicone wrist seals. I put one on (by itself) yesterday and wore it around the hose for a while. It was really hard to get on, had to use conditioner, but then it slipped right on. Not sure I could get it without some form of lube.

It felt like it started to cut the circulation off. Is there any guide for how much to cut based off of wrist circumference? I'm 7.25" (I believe) based off of memory (which may or may not be accurate).

Trim one ring at a time and try on after each cut. Trial and error is the safest way to go. In my experience silicone seals are very flexible and hardly ever need trimming. Getting them on is easier if you stretch it sideways with one hand as you put the other hand through. Silicon tolerates stretching sideways very well but does not like to get pulled lengthwise (can tear).

The benefit of the silicone over latex is the stretchiness. Stretch the seal over a yeti turned upside down. Cut 3 rings to start and work from there. I would usually suggest 1 ring at a time until you get a comfortable fit. In your case I'd estimate you will probably end up taking 5 or 6 rings worth.

Unless you got small seals you shouldn’t have to trim them but some sort of lube, talc or conditioner makes it easier. I now just cut mine, for dry glove use by folding them flat and using scissors an even unwavering cut is necessary because if you give silicone and place to switch tearing force it will tear.

Interesting. I appreciate everyone's replies.

Does everyone normally use talc / lube to get the seals on?

I use a food grade silicone spray in the summer.

I use a food grade silicone spray in the summer.

What's the difference between summer / winter?

Any reason conditioner won't work? At least it covers the sweaty smell, lol.

What's the difference between summer / winter?

Any reason conditioner won't work? At least it covers the sweaty smell, lol.
Conditioner works, I use talc because I have a bunch of it, I took a piece of fleece and made a talc duster but an advantage to the Liquid is it works for the second dive as well as the first.

Conditioner works, I use talc because I have a bunch of it, I took a piece of fleece and made a talc duster but an advantage to the Liquid is it works for the second dive as well as the first.

Answers cause more questions, lol.

What do you keep the talc bag in so it doesn't get everywhere? I have one, not setup yet, but not sure how to store it. I'll plan on a little bottle of conditioner too, but I know talc is good inside the suit all over.

Answers cause more questions, lol.

What do you keep the talc bag in so it doesn't get everywhere? I have one, not setup yet, but not sure how to store it. I'll plan on a little bottle of conditioner too, but I know talc is good inside the suit all over.
Just a baggie, it migrates between my drysuit tote and my undie dry bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom