Cutting Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry knife, shears and diagonal cutting pliers, no one tool is good for all ocassions.

Shears...I need to cut marine life free. Knife...I need to cut orange slices. For basic recreational diving you should rarely if ever find yourself in the position to actually need a knife underwater and if you do, then you probably need brains more.

Shears...I need to cut marine life free. Knife...I need to cut orange slices. For basic recreational diving you should rarely if ever find yourself in the position to actually need a knife underwater and if you do, then you probably need brains more.

I know a hand full of people that have been hooked by fishermen of the Monterey Breakwater. That particular spot happens to be one of the better dives at that location, so it's dove and fished unfortunately at the same time quite often.

If a hook pierces your skin, are you going to saw away at it with a knife, lodging the barb even deeper, or cut it with shears, or in that situation how would brains help?

I know a hand full of people that have been hooked by fishermen of the Monterey Breakwater. That particular spot happens to be one of the better dives at that location, so it's dove and fished unfortunately at the same time quite often.

If a hook pierces your skin, are you going to saw away at it with a knife, lodging the barb even deeper, or cut it with shears, or in that situation how would brains help?

Let me clarify because I think you read me wrong due to my lack of info given...I have only ever USED shears underwater and I carry a knife as well. I would cut myself free with shears to answer your question about the hook. I wouldn't use a knife for sure.:11doh: My comment was directed specifically towards the use and need for a knife and not shears. I didn't make that very clear in my post.:wink: The knife, as I said, is only used for fruit and I doubt if I will ever need to use it for anything else.

I also dive a spot with tons of fishing line and fishing activity from shore. I have NEVER been hooked by a fishermen yet in 5 years. The viz is rarely better than 5 feet. Call it luck if you will...maybe my number is up...:wink:

My point is that I can't imagine a situation where I would need a knife to save my life in a recreational diving scenario. If I need a knife to save me say in Bonaire while diving a reef, then I am an idiot and it's not a knife I truly need...it's brains. (that was my point)

Only time I have drawn my knife underwater was to trim a thread on my glove that was annoying me. Shears definitely would have made it easier.

Shears or Knife: Which one do you carry and why?

I used to be a big fan of a good knife, one side blade edge the other side a serrated edge. I now carry a nice durable pair of paramedic shears on the waist of my harness. I have come to the conclusion that shears are far superior cutting tool underwater.

My reason being you can't cut a metal fishing leader with a knife. In the case of a fishing hook spearing your arm/leg/suit a knife would require positive pressure against the line to cut it, potentially causing more damage to the area hooked. A knife has a greater chance of causing collateral damage when trying to cut things in tight spaces.

So what are your thoughts?

Excellent point about shears... If I have a fish hook and line in me... having shears would be nice.

I always carry (no joking)

1. one pair of shears

2. one line cutting

3. two knives (one on waist belt, and one on leg)

Both knives have a line cutter built into them.

I've used the leg knife maybe 4 times to cut line... once I had to remove my gear to get to the area that was caught.

I also always have an extra pair of shears and an extra knife on the boat...and sharpen the knifes at least every month.

I got tired of searching for the perfect cutting tool. I just strap my katana between the doubles. Right next to the isolator knob is the end of the hilt. Scares the crap out of most anything.

Seriously though, emt shears in the right thigh pocket or on the right side of harness and dalton safety knife on the left. Z knife when I remember it on can light head.

And I really do have a katana but don't take it under water. It's for cutting the oranges!

Don't dive line covered wrecks much, do we?

Anit-Hero just asked what people thought was the right thing to do was... Insulting people that don't agree with your particular diving or your experience is not help answer that... but it will bring out a even nastier response... which does not help him get the best answer.

Don't dive line covered wrecks much, do we?

Anit-Hero just asked what people thought was the right thing to do was... Insulting people that don't agree with your particular diving or your experience is not help answer that... but it will bring out a even nastier response... which does not help him get the best answer.

Yes, I do and I use shears when diving wrecks with lots of line. Check out my profile.

No offense but I think you are jumping to conclusions and you are assuming that I am speaking with contempt rather than silliness and humor and missed my response to anti-hero's post. Please read my clarification where I made sure to point out what I meant in an attempt to let ant know that i didn't mean to insult. I also think you missed my extreme use of smiley faces (usually used to indicate that one is just joking) so I have no idea why you think I have insulted anyone.:wink: Moreover, I believe you have totally missed that we all agree that shears are far more useful than dive knives so how is it that I have ever "disagreed with his dive style?"

ANTI said..."If a hook pierces your skin, are you going to saw away at it with a knife, lodging the barb even deeper, or cut it with shears?"

I said..."I have only ever USED shears underwater and I carry a knife as well. I would cut myself free with shears to answer your question about the hook. I wouldn't use a knife for sure."

YOU said..."Excellent point about shears... If I have a fish hook and line in me... having shears would be nice."

So what's the confusion?

Honestly Puffer, I am a nice guy and don't start fights here.

EDIT: I see the problem here...I used the word "you" instead of saying "if a diver" or "if one" and Anti thought I meant him personally. I didn't mean to direct my response at him personally but rather was speaking of divers in general. My bad. I didn't mean to make it seem like he was an idiot if he used a knife or anything for that matter. Make sense? Still, lots of assumption taking place here.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom