Cypress Canoes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish Food

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the deal on the best/easiest place to rent a canoe, and also the best place to put in at? Ive heard conflicting reports of who's still in business and who's not.

Also, how long (time wise) does it take to get to Cypress?

I'm not sure if the rental place near the boat launch is still in business. Vortex should have some canoes to rent.

To get to the best boat launch, take 277 out of Vernon to Culpepper (on your left with a very small boat launch sign). Follow the dirt road around to the launch. The canoe ride is about 20 to 30 minutes.

cypress1.jpg

cypress3.jpg

cypress2.jpg

I called the number today for the folks that were renting canoes last year by the boat launch, and the recording says the number has been disconnected.

In March I called all the numbers for canoe rentals that I found through google and scubaboard and found most of them disconnected. The only ones I found still in the business are:

Holmes Creek Canoe Livery
Located at SR 79 North of the Vernon Bridge.
To find it, drive into the Vernon Park and boat landing
850-210-7001

They have 40 canoes and should have some kayaks and john boats in April. He said its $30 for a cypress springs trip for 2 adults. Each additional adult in a canoe is $10. They are right by the bridge on 79. He’ll shuttle you and put boats in/out of the water for you. He'll even shuttle people with their own boats for $10.

I did find a working number for Canoes 4 U (near the boat launch on Culpepper landing).
Phillip Glen Cell: 850-532-8675 but they only have 2 canoes left. They say they are closer to the Springs than the Holmes Creek Livery but that Holmes Creek always got more people being on the highway. They usually deal with divers who only need 2 canoes at a time. He did mention he has trailers if you need to haul the canoes elsewhere. $30 per day

Here's some links I found in my searching that might help:

Explore nature along the Holmes Creek Canoe Trail | Welcome to Walton Outdoors
Good article about canoeing Holmes Creek with a video.

For maps, latitude/longitude data, driving directions, satellite imagery, and topographic representations as for most of the Northwest Florida springs, go to “Florida Springs Database” Website at Florida Springs Database Directory by County

Good info! Thanks Yall.

And for future reference: I called Mr Glen and he said he no longer rented canoes, but recommended the one off the highway.

Rented a canoe from Al at the Livery today and enjoyed a great dive at Cypress. Headed over to Becton and turned around. Decided not to make our first dive at a new place while the river was up. Hopefully next time. Again, the info was certainly appreciated from all! Was definitely a nice change from the usual spots.

Absolutely! Becton was... not; but Cypress was great :D

Absolutely! Becton was... not; but Cypress was great :D

The water levels have to be pretty damned low for Becton to look inviting :) At average levels, you can get below the muck layer around the vents and have SOME visibility. Its not all that pretty though - its a good way to bring you back to reality after being in near infinite visibility at Cypress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom