Cypress Canoes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In that case I have no problem being out of touch with reality :wink:

Speaking of, Al at the livery was saying there are other sites to dive on or just off Holmes creek. Any info? :eyebrow:

There are some very tight, very silty caves on Holmes Creek - I'm not gonna go further into it than that but they are NOT Cypress or Morrison like in ANY way. They have little to no caverns, low flow, deep and very light silt, multiple restrictions and line traps - its absolutely a place where you'd want cave training, cave gear, and lots of experience in zero visibility exits through restrictive passage with line traps and old rotten cave line.

I don't know of anywhere other than Becton and Cypress that I'd conduct an OW dive on that waterway. Those two sites are quite exceptional and not at all what you'll find elsewhere in the area.

Where did you put in and get out? How long was the trip and how hard was it to find? I just saw on the map what looked like a few forks in the river.

I honestly couldn't tell you where we put in. We met at the park just north of the bridge on 79 and he drove us and our gear upstream. Didnt really pay attention to where we went. The paddle to Cypress was pretty brief. He estimated it at a quarter mile... Id say a little longer but either way it wasn't bad. To get to cypress there's a painted white board with "Spring" written on it nailed to a tree. Simply hang a right at that fork.

Becton was downstream further. Take the fork with the newish brick house by the fork. Look closely; we missed it the first time and had to paddle back upstream.

We came out of the water back at the county park off 79. Cypress to the county park was a decent paddle, but Al at the livery said we could exit at Cullpepper and he'd pick us up. If you're not diving Becton that would have been much easier.

If you took a right to get to the spring, you must have been dropped off north of the run. The culpepper launch is south of the run and you make a left to get to the spring.

My problem with cypress was getting a canoe to the landing but i guess that problem is now solved! I'm thinking I may be able to persuade the g/f into going while we are in the area next weekend.

Paddle up about 100yds past the run to the creek and you'll find!!!!!

Are you saying instead of taking a left on the final spring run, go straight?? Here is a picture of the spring run...you are saying don't turn left here when you are coming from Culpepper Landing?

CypressRiver2small.jpg

Paddle up about 100yds past the run to the creek and you'll find!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom