D 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I owned a D50, amazing camera, nothing to say about it.
Perhaps I missed BW, and other settings, but still very nice.
I sold it and I am upgrading to the D80, for the very few things I missed.
I also do a lot of enlargements and 6Mp, wasn't enough.

Several reasons, but please, this is how I think, not universal truths (matter of fact I seem to be the odd one):

Basically I don't like giving more than a grand on a body, I STILL think photography is about lenses... this is the MOST important! I don't care, for instance, giving half-a-grand on a Sigma 8mm/4 which I RARELY use. But I don't like giving more than that on a body. I have been shooting (D)SLR since 2000 and I have changed bodies SEVERAL times, but very few times I have traded lenses. Lenses are a LONG TIME WORTHY INVESTMENT, bodies come and go.

Other reasons are:
1- The same reason I used to shoot on a F80s and not on a F100. F80s were cheaper and more modern.
2- D200 battery life is disappointing, and I had a better sync with it with the D50.
3- Along with the body difference one need to count housing body price difference, I am a heavy Sea&Sea user.
4- D80 is newer than D200, better chance of selling it next year if I need it. My friends that bought a D200 here are having a hard time trying to sell it already.

These are the ones I quickly remember, I have reached 3rd place in the Brazillian National UWPhoto Championship with a N80 vs people with F100s and F5s. I have shot extensively both underwater and above, and VERY FEW times I have felt limited by my camera. But OH GOD how I miss a good glass sometimes... like a better and faster tele, or that REAL wide fast lens.

I am sure the D80 will be the BEST CAMERA I WILL EVER HAD until now. For UWPhoto I am much more fond of the DX 1.5 factor now than before, specially after the ESPECTACULAR 10.5mm/2.8 AF-S Fisheye. But for natural photo (my other passion) I still miss something like a Full-Framed D80.

Check my Flickr site, you will see pictures taken with "cheap" bodies, and "no-so-cheap" lenses. Any defects are because of the body and brains of the photographer!:wink:

If you need advice about lens I could tell you what I think of a good quiver.
Remember as an SLR shooter you should be buying lenses and accessories forever!!! These are long term investments!

How many times we see WONDERFUL pictures taken with pin-hole caneras? Where is the magic of Cartier-Bresson, on his Leica body, or his Leica Lenses and his photographic view? What about Galen Rowell, no filter on one 20mm on a manual very very light body, so he could climb faster? I had a teacher who used to say: "Your best sensor is your eyes, your main control device is your feet!"

Cameras are nothing but a black box, I used to say that "f16@1/250s" used to be the same on a F60 or a F5. Nowadays there is a small difference due to different sensors and firmware, but still is about the same on a D40 or a D200.

The magic of photography is performed by the adventurer mind in a world of glasses.

Mariozi:
The magic of photography is performed by the adventurer mind in a world of glasses.

---
Ken

I bought a D80. There are significant physical features that make it easier to use, specifically the much larger viewfinder, faster frame rate, etc. Lots of other improvements in speed and s/w.

That being said, I guess I would shop for a D70s over a D50. The D70 is being heavily discounted and has a faster strobe sync speed with an electronic shutter that for UW use is quite nice.

Your housings for all are going to be close to the same price, although I sell the Fantasea D70/D50 housings for around $850 and the D80 housing is going to go for $1050 at least initially.

Jack

Mariozi:

How many times we see WONDERFUL pictures taken with pin-hole caneras? Where is the magic of Cartier-Bresson, on his Leica body, or his Leica Lenses and his photographic view? What about Galen Rowell, no filter on one 20mm on a manual very very light body, so he could climb faster? I had a teacher who used to say: "Your best sensor is your eyes, your main control device is your feet!"

Cameras are nothing but a black box, I used to say that "f16@1/250s" used to be the same on a F60 or a F5. Nowadays there is a small difference due to different sensors and firmware, but still is about the same on a D40 or a D200.

Very well said Mariozo, I think i'll print and keep this somewhere as inspiration :).

Thank you evrybody for your answers , and especially to Mariozi
I own a d50 , and I'm thinking to upgrade to the d 80 exactly for the reason you gave .
I own also a sea and sea housing and I'm very satisfied of it .
The only thing is that I don't share your love of the 10,5 I sold mine .
I love to picture fishes and even if I came very close to them , they were not big enough to satisfied me with the result .:sharkattack:
Perhaps later will I change my mind , who knows?:confused:

I own a d-50 and S&S housing for it.

just got back from my first liveaboard trip with it and I have to say it worked flawlessly - easy to use, not finicky, and worry free. I shot available light and manual strobe, shot with 8" dome and flat port. I had never shot manual strobe before, but found I could easily switch to manual mode and then move the shutter speed and f-stops with one hand, while looking thru the view finder. Switching ports was extremely easy.

the rest of the time it is used for weekend wreck dives

the question becomes what does the d-80 give you that you need or the d-50 doesn't have? the d-80 wasn't available when I bought, but I balanced the same question with the d50 and d70.

There was a enough price difference between d50 and d70 that I decided for my first u/w digital, the diff wasn't worth it. Today, there is an almost $1200 difference ($480 camera body and $700 housing - B&H prices) between a d80 rig and a d50. Not a small amount of money in my world.

Unless someone starts paying me for large poster size prints, I still don't think it is worth it and am still learning with the d50. Plus I could buy the 12-24mm and/or 10.5 with the money I saved. 10.5 is the bomb! - particularly on wrecks

Back
Top Bottom