D1 Cold & D1 Second: good first reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaizerWilhelm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey y'all,

I've been reading a lot about these HOG D1 Cold and 2nd stages and everyone seems to love them. I really want to get one as my fist reg. Is this a good first reg? Also, since I am not tech certified, can my LDS, Underwater Sports Seattle, service it? I would assume so.

I really want to support Edge 'cause they sound like good guys.

Thanks,

Will

Not sure if Underwater Sports can service them or not. I would give them a quick call. Just so you know you don't need to be fully tech certified to be able to service them yourself, from my understanding an intro to tech class is enough.

Either way, I have HOG regs and think they are great. I would highly recommend them. I got mine from Dive Right in Scuba and they've been very helpful (they're from the Midwest but I'm in Seattle too).

I just bought 2 complete HOG Reg setups from Dive Right in Scuba as well for me and the wife.

These as also our first regs. I bought based on:

feedback from SB members
Excellent timely responses from HOG (cerich) to all my stupid questions
Excellent timely responses from Dive Right in Scuba to all my stupid questions (see a theme here?)
I like there business model and want to support it!
You can openly buy rebuild kits and work on them yourself.

Give Mike at Dive Right in Scuba a call and they'll help you out!

As far as the D1 being a good first reg to purchase.
Lets put it this way, you could do alot worse.
From a price point, this set up is one of the best buys out there IMHO.
The 1st stage is a time tested design, others have used this design in their product line. The D1 has the same internals as the Dive Rite RG3000 and Rg3100.
I have yet to break down the second stage, but I am happy to report I have not died using this reg.

If your shop is an Edge dealer and can match others price, go for it. If they are not a dealer, ask them if they will service yor gear and buy it from a Edge dealer.

Jim Breslin

Thanks, y'all. I called them, and they said they are an Edge dealer but I'd have to supply the service parts. No biggie. I'll defiantely give DRIS a call on Monday. I figure if everyone here is giving them such good praise, then I can't go wrong. Plus, diving DIN first means that I don't have to go back and buy a converter later.

Also, since the 1st stage is 300 Bar DIN and a lot of tanks I see are 200 Bar DIN, can I use the 1st Stage on any DIN tank or not? I never really understood that whole thing.

Cheers :coke:

Will

Also, since the 1st stage is 300 Bar DIN and a lot of tanks I see are 200 Bar DIN, can I use the 1st Stage on any DIN tank or not? I never really understood that whole thing.

Yes, no problem using a 300 bar DIN regulator on a 200 bar DIN tank. The threads on the 300 bar are longer so you'll just have a few threads sticking out.

The other way--200 bar DIN regulator on a 300 bar DIN tank--won't work. The threads on the 200 bar DIN regualtor aren't long enough to seat the o-ring. This prevents a 200 bar regulator, whose internals are not designed to withstand the higher pressure, from being attached to the 300 bar DIN tank.

To add to the post above, the second stage very much like an Apeks second stage design (also shared by Dive Rite and others).

Bob

I'd recommend getting a DIN to yoke adapter. $40 at DRIS and I think someone sells them on SB for $26. Incase you ever go diving on vacation or otherwise need to dive a yoke tank.

Scott Christopher at Sound Aquatics is a local dealer. He's an excellent instructor and runs a professional shop. I would seriously consider buying/maintaining through him. I know Dive Right in Scuba will also service by mail. You'll be happy with whatever choice you make, I've had nothing but positive encounters with Sound Aquatics, DRIS and HOG (and D1 regs).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom