Question HOG D3 First Stage and HOG D1/Classic Second Stage as Deco/Stage setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjrascoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I’m going off to complete my TDI decompression procedures and advanced Nitrox next month. I’ve come across a really good deal on a set of HOG D3 First Stage and HOG D1/Classic Second Stage. I know it’s not the fanciest gear in the world, but so long as it is in good shape and inspected, would this be suitable as a setup for a stage/deco bottle (will add on SPG and appropriate length hose)?

Thanks!

I used Hog regs for my tech classes and they were fine. They'll need to be O2 clean for use with rich deco gases.

Why not? HOG is fine gear.

Hogs have worked fine for me.

Awesome, thanks everybody! I agree that the HOG gear is good, my primary regs and first stages are deep6 signature series for my doubles setup, so lots of overlap there :)

hog is fine, just keep an eye on creep once you hit about 150 dives on them. their hp seat longevity leaves something to be desired.
I've got over 250 dives on my d3 sidemount setup and replaced the seats on the 2nds twice. Which I fully expect on 2nd stages. The 1sts still lock up at 133psi and 134 psi. I've owned 9 hog regs and can't recall having to rebuild the 1sts before 200 dives.
D1s, d2s, and d3s.
But those are my personal regs.
On customer regs I have had to rebuild them at less.
Number of dives can be misleading because are the dives 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or two hours.
I have seen them not properly broke in at service by others that shortened the life of the seat.
That's a shop/tech issue though.

I've got over 250 dives on my d3 sidemount setup and replaced the seats on the 2nds twice. Which I fully expect on 2nd stages. The 1sts still lock up at 133psi and 134 psi. I've owned 9 hog regs and can't recall having to rebuild the 1sts before 200 dives.
D1s, d2s, and d3s.
But those are my personal regs.
On customer regs I have had to rebuild them at less.
Number of dives can be misleading because are the dives 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or two hours.
I have seen them not properly broke in at service by others that shortened the life of the seat.
That's a shop/tech issue though.
Thats good to hear. It makes me think my recent issue with a HOG deco reg is, hopefully, a one off. Last September I used a HOG deco reg in my PADI TEC 45 class on Bonaire. No where near 250 dives on it. No problems. Went back to Bonaire this May, put the same deco reg on a deco aluminum 40 and gas just blasted through the 2d stage non stop. Sent it in upon my return and found out something had gone wrong in the 2d stage flooding the lst stage. Cost me $200 to fix the 2d stage, rebuild the lst stage, serviced and deco cleaned. I'm going to use it again in my TEC 50 class this September. We shall see...

Thats good to hear. It makes me think my recent issue with a HOG deco reg is, hopefully, a one off. Last September I used a HOG deco reg in my PADI TEC 45 class on Bonaire. No where near 250 dives on it. No problems. Went back to Bonaire this May, put the same deco reg on a deco aluminum 40 and gas just blasted through the 2d stage non stop. Sent it in upon my return and found out something had gone wrong in the 2d stage flooding the lst stage. Cost me $200 to fix the 2d stage, rebuild the lst stage, serviced and deco cleaned. I'm going to use it again in my TEC 50 class this September. We shall see...
The greatest advantage of HOG, in my opinion, is user-serviceability. Learn to service and maintain your own HOG regs, and you will be In control. It shouldn’t cost $200 to correct a misbehaving reg.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom