D1 Hog vs other regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently have a Titan LX from aqualung and paid a bit of money for it when I first got into diving from LDS. I see the Hog D1 is priced a lot lower than most other regs, I am curious why it is cheaper than many other regulators. I have seen good reviews of it and I am question why people spend so much on other regs, if this is a very good reg?

-Hostage

I currently have a Titan LX from aqualung and paid a bit of money for it when I first got into diving from LDS. I see the Hog D1 is priced a lot lower than most other regs, I am curious why it is cheaper than many other regulators. I have seen good reviews of it and I am question why people spend so much on other regs, if this is a very good reg?
-Hostage

The Titan LX and the Hog D1 are perfect examples of completely conflicting and different philosophies.

On one hand, you have the Aqualung model. They take out full page ads every month in every dive publication, they pay people to use their equipment on photo shoots and spend an inordinate amount of money trying to ensure that their equipment is perceived as "high end". All of that cost is combined with R&D and then layered into a model where they only sell to shops via sales people. So on top of the marketing and R&D costs they also have to pay salaries and commissions. They tightly control how much the end shop sells their equipment for to help keep up the perception of the "high end" brand. I'm guessing that your LDS sold you this regulator after or through the course of an initial training? This is part of the LDS model.

On the other hand, Chris @ HOG takes known design concepts that are established and have been in use for a very long time by divers who are doing very big dives (far, far beyond those of the average vacation diver finishing up an open water course) and he's having them manufactured overseas to that spec. The R&D is minimal because there's no need for bells and whistles, just rock solid performance based on tried and true design concepts. Then he doesn't advertise. Go look for a HOG ad in SCUBA magazine (don't look hard, you won't find one). Further he sells direct to the shop/instructor/dealer who has to deal with the customer so there's no salaries or middlemen to mark things up. There's some emphasis on "value" but I'd say there's more emphasis on "reliability". I've breathed my HOG D1 at over 400 feet (bailed out, not breathing calmly). That's why I trust it and that's why I recommend it to my friends and my students.

Most people at the LDS can't discuss performance at extreme ends of the spectrum, much less confidently talk about their experience with the regulator you've got in hand there. So instead they tell you the pretty story about the "state of the art" that they're fed in brochures and marketing copy from the manufacturers (that all drive up the $$$ without delivering anything of value).

Ultimately you got a good regulator that will likely serve you well for years to come. To my mind you paid too much for it; but that's what you were designed to do. That's how Aqualung makes their money and how the shops stay in business. Maybe you'll love it enough to support them and pay it all over again next time, maybe you won't. There are a lot of variables that come into play in diving and cost is only one of them (I'd argue that it should be quite far down the list of priorities).

For me, I love HOG products because of the philosophy, the simple design, the fact that I can fix a problem on my own no matter where I am in the world and the price point just means I can own more of them - which has a whole slew of other practical applications for my personal situation (and doesn't just serve as a reason/method to spend less).

Well you can buy a GMC with bling for $8K more than a Chevy, although they both have identical running gear. Do you like the name and shiny emblem enough to pay extra for it? Not saying HOG regs are the same as others, just using it as an analogy.

I bought Scubapro's long before HOG regs were on the market. When we kitted out my partner, I bought her HOG regs and they breath great. When my friends ask what kind of regs to buy, I recommend HOG's. Any decent certified reg tech can service them too. If you are very mechanically inclined you can get the service kits too.

Also no longer Chris at HOG, but the philosophy hasn't changed and we might actually see HOG prices come down a bit more in the next few months. I don't like their second stages as much as my Poseidons, but I have HOGS on all of my deco and stage bottles, just not backgas. They are my backups in case I have a 2nd stage problem. The first stages were plagued with bad HP seats for a long time, and some of the soft goods on the new D3's have had issues as well, but they seem to be stabilized. The HP seat problems are something Scubapro, Apeks, Poseidon, and most every one else have had at one point or another, so nothing to be concerned about. Hell, I saw an Apeks HP seat failure at Peacock this weekend, **** happens.

The Chevy vs GMC vs Caddy debate is very similar. You have the same drivetrains, same frame, same specs for all of them, but as you go up the price scale, you pay more for the bling. Apeks XTX 50, 100, 200 are all identical first stages except for strategic chroming and the price scales go with it. You aren't buying an inferior regulator with the HOG, just one that hasn't had all of the astronomical overhead of the Aqualung corporation factored into it.

I started diving HOG regs in 2008. Became a dealer in 2011. I personally own a dozen of them. First stages and second stages. One of my original D-1's is part of my doubles set. Has about 300 dives on it, 100 or so pool hours, gets pressed into singles use now and then since I have a set of D-1's and Zenith's for my sidemount set ups and don't really dive the twins any longer, and I don't baby it. Never been rebuilt and it still locks up at 138 psi IP. I DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone else let theirs go that long between services. But this is my personal reg and I am doing my own lifespan test on it. All the others have been serviced or inspected at regular intervals.

The other thing to consider is that those "free parts" are also part of the upfront costs of the other mfg's regs in some cases. While it is true that you can get parts for other mfg regs in some cases a dealer that does this for you could lose his dealership.

HOG also does not sell kits to consumers but does allow dealers to sell them. There are some changes coming with regards to the line but nothing major. Some of it is going to be very attractive to all divers - tech and recreational.

As a TDI HOG reg service instructor I do have to strongly recommend that if you decide to buy them with the idea of servicing them yourself, please take the class. There are some things about doing them yourself that having that education can make easier. The class if taught properly is a two day (with the second being a half day or so) or one very long day. I hate doing those. It will cover the regs D-1, D-2, and D-3, the second stages, AND items on some of the other gear in the line like rebuilding inflators, servicing dump valves on the wings, care of the lights, and I also cover some basic maintenance on the reels. If a diver has one of the other HOG regs like the BP2 we'll look at those also.

There are a number of instructors that can teach it. There are a couple of us on here like robertarak in California and me on the East Coast. I offer private and semi private classes in my home with no extra charge for a private class. I've also traveled to Baltimore and the Toledo Ohio area to teach it. Those require a minimum number of students.

Also no longer Chris at HOG

What do you mean by this? Did Chris sell the company? Is he no longer the owner of the HOG brand?

that would be correct. It's been no real secret, but the rest of the personnel is still the same, so you won't see any major changes to the brand, some small ones, but everything is going quite well. He decided to go in another direction that hasn't been publicly disclosed yet.

that would be correct. It's been no real secret, but the rest of the personnel is still the same, so you won't see any major changes to the brand, some small ones, but everything is going quite well. He decided to go in another direction that hasn't been publicly disclosed yet.

Wow, that is a shocker, this is the first I'm hearing of this. I have spoken to Chris many times on the phone and had met him while I was attending a HOG reg repair class, I really liked his philosophies about dive gear sales and he was just a great person. Just out of curiosity who is the company owned by? Was Edge/HOG sold to a larger company? I hope the core philosophies of the company don't change as I believe this has been a major contributor to it's success in an industry that has not had these same values in many years.

So, the SS Big Changes may affect future service/support options at a new, value-targeted reg brand. In other news, dog bites man at 11.

no, it wasn't sold to a bigger company, Jack is running the show now and everything is still moving forward, so 99% of the customers won't notice any difference, but you'll see in some of his new postings his new avatar, and on facebook he no longer has the title

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom