D400: shim to replace spring pad 11.015.306

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Earlier models of the D400 did not include the spring pad PN 11.015.306.
To complicate things, Scubapro changed the name of the relevant parts from
11.011.106 "Spring Pad" for the G300/350/400
to 11.015.206 "Adjustment Pad" plus 11.015.306 "Spring Pad" for the later G400. The two "Spring Pads" are completely different parts. I'll have to pull out a late G400 to compare the 11.011.106 with the 11.015.206.

I have a call into my supplier to see if Scubapro still has any 11.015.306 Spring Pads in stock so I can grab some, but here's a workaround that gives you 0.7-1.5 mm of spring compression (one or two shims).
As many of you have noted, the adjustment cap (whether you call it a Spring Pad or Adjustment Pad) is often screwed far into the reg to get a high enough cracking effort. That's one beauty of the old G400 - you could tune it to 0.4" and still not freeflow, with that beautiful coaxial diaphragm/exhaust valve. With all the evolutions in the poppet sealing surface over the years, sometimes it took all the depth of the adjustment cap to get even that, which may be why they introduced the spring pad at the end.

In any case, here's a workaround that will give you an additional 0.7-1.5 mm of spring compression and still leave enough nipple inside the adjustment cap to keep the spring centered.
A McMaster 91545A270 Nylon Plastic Washer fits perfectly. It's billed as "Lubricant-filled" and looks like there's a little graphite in the nylon. About 50 cents each (plus their shipping, of course).
20170809_134902.jpg

BTW, the McMaster 1295N117 Viton 1mm x 4.5mm duro 70 oring is a workable replacement for the poppet shaft oring 01.050.323. The original blue oring was billed as duro 50, but this one seems to seal well without binding or changing cracking effort.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I bet they added the spring pad to put more pressure on that lousy Delrin orifice to seal. It took awhile before the Delrin was reliable enough for all their regs. Nice for ice shedding, I'm told, but like most of you, I'm partial to the metal knife edge.

Now that I think about it, I bet they added the spring pad to put more pressure on that lousy Delrin orifice to seal. It took awhile before the Delrin was reliable enough for all their regs. Nice for ice shedding, I'm told, but like most of you, I'm partial to the metal knife edge.

That sounds reasonable although I have been told by another expert that they tune easier with the pad even on the metal orifice but I guess your hypothesis could still hold true.

Yes, the spring pad doesn't catch the rough spring bottom like the adjustment cap does, so there's a more reliable tightening of the tension as you screw in. Pete Wolfinger's tuning tips always reminded us to tune past the desired setting, and then back off a little to de-tension the twist in the base of the spring. That happens less with the pad.

Rob nice info, I have the 3 adjustment cap version the original (no spring pad), plastic with springs pad and metal cap with spring pad.
I still prefer the old cap with out the spring pad, easy to twist with the flat screwdriver, the newest you touch the spring pad with the screwdriver small slot and the metal is hex slot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom