D6 Gauge mode - Why 48 Hours No-fly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_dog

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hereby confess that I feel really stupid for doing this but felt I should post because it may avoid anyone else making the same mistake.:dork2:

Just had a brilliant weeks diving in Gozo but on day 1, just because it was there, I decided to have a few free dives and see how deep the bay in Xlendi was. And because I'd never done it before, I thought I'd put my faithful D6 into gauge mode. MISTAKE.

Ok, yes it DOES say it in the manual BUT I didn't see it! Any dive in gauge mode puts 48 hours no fly time on the clock and that means that you can't switch to Air/Nitrox mode. So that's 48 hours without my D6! And unless you have access to the wipeout programme which I didn't, then that's it out of action for 48 hours.

Luckily I managed to get the loan of a computer from a local dive school but it really could have screwed up my diving.

So a couple of lessons...
1) Always carry two DC's! I don't but I probably will as of now.
2) Don't use gauge mode before a dive series

Does anyone know why gauge mode is set to 48 hours no-fly time regardless?
Because I just don't see why but I guess there must be a reason. For me though I won't use Gauge mode ever again :shakehead::no:

Have a great summer!
The Dog.

...Does anyone know why gauge mode is set to 48 hours no-fly time regardless?

It is being conservative because in Gauge mode the computer is not tracking your nitrogen loading, etc. It doesn't mean that you really have to wait 48 hours to fly. I'm sure it was also added as a safeguard from lawsuits for the manufacturer.

PS- alot of computers do this when put in gauge mode, not just the D6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom