D70 + Sea&Sea Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am contemplating selling my D70 with a Sea & Sea housing, inclusive of three camera batteries and charger.

No ports or lenses etc, as I use them with my D300 and Sea & Sea housing.

Wondering if an asking price of USD2,000 would be acceptable?

Only been used for 66 dives and in very good condition.

Seems high to me, camera body was ~600 and housing 1400(ikelite) when they were new, D70 is only a 6M camera and not available any more. last time i saw a housing for the D70 (not available any more) it was 500.

that is a crazy price. This setup would be basically for people who might want to dabble into DSLR shooting, maybe with their existing low end strobe from their P&S. If your package does not include everything needed, then the buyer would have to buy lenses and dome port, driving the cost even more higher.

Yeah, that price seems high. The D70 is 4-5 generations old. It's a relic, but is a great starter kit. I bought a used D70 on Ebay a couple months ago for $150.00 as a backup. I'm considering selling my D70 and an Aquatica housing without ports, etc. for about $500.00

I just bought a D7000 and Aquatica housing, so the D70 should probably going to go to some new photog.

Just a data point.

Seems high to me, camera body was ~600
My notes say I bought a D70 on 09/11/04 for $999 with the kit lens. So $899 or a bit more without the kit lens.

But what counts now is current used price on the camera and housing. I think I could probably find a D70 and a metal housing from
a major manufacturer for << $1000. B&H doensn't seem to have any used D70s. Adorama they run 159-179.

$2000 is wildly optimistic. Good luck.

BTW, I have in a drawer:

Nikon F w/ FTN meter
Nikon EM
3*Nikon N90S
Nikon F4
Nikonos RS

MAYBE $400 for the lot less the F (which has some collectors value).

Chuck

Thanks for the comments guys, just testing the water so to speak

I have Nikon F3 with Tussey housing + ports and F801 in an Aquatica housing + ports gathering dust too, did not manage to offload them before the digital revolution.

May as well keep it as a back up, did actually use it for two dives as a spare camera for macro while doing wide angle, persuaded my buddy to carry it, plus I did find a few macro subjects during the dives.

I have a buddy that built an F4 housing into a pole cam for a a Great White Shark trip. A shark grabbed it and took off. Fortunately he had a float on it and when the shark decided it wasn't good to eat it popped up, quite a ways from the boat.

I've got a pole cam setup for my RS that I carried on my boat for a while after we had a humpback go under the boat and bump it.

Something like that might be a good use for your D70 rig.

Exit

Not a bad idea Chuck, how do you rig to fire though?

Lack of great whites here though, and not many whales either.

Not a bad idea Chuck, how do you rig to fire though?

Lack of great whites here though, and not many whales either.

My RS is fired with the Nikon RS remote cord (very rare, stumbled into one a long time ago.

My buddy that his snatched just had a string to a hole drilled in the housing's shutter release, IIRC.

Thanks Chuck, doubt I will be drilling holes in the housing though.

Back
Top Bottom