Dacor anti-freeflow system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ew1usnr

Contributor
Reaction score
In 1972 Dacor had an anti-free flow system built into their Olympic 400 and 800 second stage regulators (see attached advertisement). It was an ingenious concept. Have any other regulators ever had a similar system?
Did Dacor carry this system forward into any of their later model regulators?

A free flow creates a vacuum in the 2nd stage that pulls in the diaphragm, which causes the freeflow to continue. Dacor directed the flow of air to one side of the mouthpiece tube with a metal directional vane. When a free flow occurred, air would blast out on one side of this vane, while the vacuum in the 2nd stage drew in water on the other side of the vane. The water would flood the 2nd stage case, break the vacuum, and halt a free flow within three seconds. I know that some one will say "Just put your finger on the outlet to stop the free flow". But, this was a simple, effective, and AUTOMATIC solution to regulator free flow. Dacor said "If your regulator is not an Olympic, then it is obsolete".

ew1usnr once bubbled...
In 1972 Dacor had an anti-free flow system built into their Olympic 400 and 800 second stage regulators (see attached advertisement). It was an ingenious concept. Have any other regulators ever had a similar system?
Did Dacor carry this system forward into any of their later model regulators?

A free flow creates a vacuum in the 2nd stage that pulls in the diaphragm, which causes the freeflow to continue. Dacor directed the flow of air to one side of the mouthpiece tube with a metal directional vane. When a free flow occurred, air would blast out on one side of this vane, while the vacuum in the 2nd stage drew in water on the other side of the vane. The water would flood the 2nd stage case, break the vacuum, and halt a free flow within three seconds. I know that some one will say "Just put your finger on the outlet to stop the free flow". But, this was a simple, effective, and AUTOMATIC solution to regulator free flow. Dacor said "If your regulator is not an Olympic, then it is obsolete".

Interesting idea. I guess the skeptic in me would say that the fact that it doesn't exist anymore is probably proof of it's worth. Anything that automatically draws water into the reg strikes me as a bad idea.... LOL

There are still anti freeflow devices on the market. One I know of is a small tube shaped device about the size of the last joint of a finger. It fits between the regulator hose and the housing of the regulator on the outside. If you get an uncontrollable freeflow you can slide or turn (not 100% sure) the outer part of the tube and it cuts off the air flow to the 2nd stage. It might work ok for a frozen 2nd stage, especially if you're only diving with one first-stage and can't easily turn off the whole reg for long enough to let it thaw.

R..

I don't think the fact that its not available any more if an indicator of its value. Look at a '69 Dodge Charger. People still love 'em.

Dodge hasn't beat the smooth lines and graceful curves of that model to date - well, ok, the Viper IS nice, but...

Look at Cousteau - diving a double hoser until he died! I don't think anyone in their right mind on this board can lessen that mans accomplishments in what many of you would say was 'inferior' equip by today's standards.

Diver0001, your profile photo is great. It's good to see that you only dive with the newest and most fashionable equipment. I am jealous!

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Dodge hasn't beat the smooth lines and graceful curves of that model to date - well, ok, the Viper IS nice, but...

I like what Plymouth did with the 1965 Baracuda (see attached).
That's not mine, just an internet photo. Everyone was making cool cars in the 60's. It's been downhill since.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
Diver0001, your profile photo is great. It's good to see that you only dive with the newest and most fashionable equipment. I am jealous!

Thanks. I try to keep up to date ..... :)

Re: cars. If I could pick any car to drive in it would be this one (see attachment). Personally I don't think nice lines went out with the 60's.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom