Dacor diving regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacificDiverNw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
From a friend I was just given a dacor 360 first stage dacor pacer xle second and a dacor pacer aero second stage. With spg and psi guages attached. It's all on one rig and also has the bc inflator hose attached for the dacor bc I was given. I am told that the gear has been cleaned properly after dives in fresh water and stored in a temperature controlled area. I read that parts are hard to come across but don't think it needs repair or anything. Could I take it to a dive center for service and dive off it? Any information would be helpful.

Welcome to the board.
It really should be serviced before use. Reguardless of what you were told, there is really no way to determine the condition of the reg until you dissamble it. Service is going to be a problem for any Dacor. Most shops will not touch it, those who do make me a little uneasy because I wonder what parts they are using. Are they using old stock parts, reusing the old parts or non-OEM parts. There is nothing wrong with non-OEM parts as long as they are the proper ones but old stock or worse reusing parts is not something a good service shop will do. The first stage is really the issue, the second stages use common parts so getting them rebuilt is no problem...at least from a parts prespective.

Here is what I suggest. Since the second stages and the SPG can be used with any first stage, find a shop that will service the second stages and buy a new first stage that you can easily find parts for, pretty much any brand or model will do. Or, find a good used first stage that can be rebuilt- USD/Aqualung or Scubapro are good choices for older first stages and have it rebuilt. The BC is not a big deal, it needs to be checked but odds are it will work. If it inflates, deflates and holds air for a reasonable amount of time, it useable. The LP inflator is usually the only thing that gives problems and those can be replaced with generic parts.

Thanks for the quick and informative replie Herman. Going to the dive shop today.

Hi PacificDiverNw. Welcome to the board.
Trident make OEM parts for most of the Dacor Regs. O-rings, that could be old, are normally standard size, so there should be no problem for a tech to find new ones.
Any used reg bought should be serviced prior to any dive. Though it seems to be in pristine condition, inside could be in not good condition and could fail under water.
Perhaps you could try it in a pool in the shallow part to see how it breath, but it would be wise to send it for service.
Here in SB, you could contact dsenloe or Knotical for advice. PM them.

Hi PacificDiverNw. Welcome to the board.
Trident make OEM parts for most of the Dacor Regs. O-rings, that could be old, are normally standard size, so there should be no problem for a tech to find new ones.
Any used reg bought should be serviced prior to any dive. Though it seems to be in pristine condition, inside could be in not good condition and could fail under water.
Perhaps you could try it in a pool in the shallow part to see how it breath, but it would be wise to send it for service.
Here in SB, you could contact dsenloe or Knotical for advice. PM them.

Those are not OEM.....Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM would be Dacor parts)....those are aftermarket. Nothing wrong with good AM parts but they are not OEM. The other problem is most shops will not use non-OEM kits even if they will service regs they do not sell.

Those are not OEM.....Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM would be Dacor parts)....those are aftermarket. Nothing wrong with good AM parts but they are not OEM. The other problem is most shops will not use non-OEM kits even if they will service regs they do not sell.

Herman, you are right, those parts are aftermarket, not OEM. I meant AM parts.

I have this same regulator almost exactly as you describe. only difference being I bought mine new in 1991, my octo is another pacer XLE, and I have a sherwood gauge console. It's been 12 years since my gear was service or dived. Even though it passes the pre dive checks I won't dive with it until I service it because upon further inspection all the O-rings and LP seats have taken a set. It's a great reg and breaths easy at any depth and I never had any problems with it during 150+ dives I've made with it.

Buying a new/used 1st stage that can be still serviced is excellent advice by the way.

Last edited:
Looking at the Dacor manual (1993) I have, the XLE second stage is not balanced, the XLS is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom