Dacor Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am considering using a torch to remove the paint from my tank.... Would this be a good way to remove the paint...? Anything else to consider beside burning yourself or making sure your in a ventilated space?

the water pressure from the car wash didnt seem to do the trick....

Ok.... No problem... I hoping to take the path of least resistance on stripping my tank... Looks like I will need to put some "elbow grease" into it... :)

Thanks...

With an AL tank a torch or power tools are a big NO! due to concerns that enough heat may be generated to affect the heat treatment.

With a steel tank, they are hot dip galvanized at something like 400 degree C, so the odds of screwing up any heat treatment are probably a lot less. On the other hand the DOT does not allow a tank to be re-galvanized via a hot dip process due to the same concern, so in general it is just prudent to pass on the idea of using a torch.

Try Soda Blasting to remove the paint.

Lonestar,

Did you say what type of paint this appears to be?.......if it is a poly coat of some kind, using a broken piece of glass from a jar or bottle will work..like a big razor blade, just shave the paint off....this method is great removing the poly coat off a rifle stock........I think would work for the biggest part of the paint.......solvent on the rest........of course you have to distroy a bottle or jar....and wear gloves to protect the pinkies..

Back
Top Bottom