Dallas aquarium reopens...needs volunteers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am interested in volunteering. PM sent.

I would like to get more info - maybe for the new year - but the next 6 months of my life will be chaotic.

I'm interested.

Great responce all!

I'm not sure what the "dive shows" are going to be like at the new aqarium, we used to do both cleaning and feeding dives in the old Flooded Amazon Forest tank. It has been cut down and will be an indoor touchtank. A new larger touch tank is located out back in the semi-open aired area that also has the new big shark tank that will be one of the dive show tanks, but again, I don't know what will be done in it at this point as far as shows go, but I do know that they have secured Bonnet head and Leopard sharks for the tank so far.

I may know more after this weekend, I'm going in to do a gravel wash, so I'll get to talk to the guys in charge of the dive ops.

We used to use a full faced mask with a mic and headphones to talk to the guests and answer questions during the Amazon tank shows, but I'm not sure if that is in the plans for this or not.

At this point, they are just asking us to see if there is anyone interested in helping us out. I should have more official information within the next month.

Most of our work is done on the weekends, except during the State Fair when we try and have volunteers every day. There may or may not be dive shows everyday, but the touch tanks and educational kiosks will need to be manned.

The job is not just a dive position, the way the program worked when I started was that you went through a one-day training program to learn the educational side of things. Then you had to do what worked out to 6 volunteer sessions (4-5 hours ea.), working the touch tank, bio cart and other educaitional endevors before you qualified to start diving.

Then we had a pool session, dive training to prove some skills and learn how to use the mask properly and then having to observe one or two dive shows before you could get in the water. I don't know if all that will be required of new dive volunteers or not, we will have to see when the official paperwork comes out. Not sure if an advanced open water is required or not, experience may trump that if it is required.

The aquarium is run by the Dallas Zoo and they are still currently in the process of hiring an educaitonal director for the aquarium, this person along with the volunteer coordinators and the aquarist at the the aquarium are all involved in the volunteer process, so a lot has to be worked out with a lot of people in the next month and a half.

Thanks so much for everyone's responce, I will post contact and other information as soon as it becomes available, in the mean time....keep saturated!!! :D

I am interested. I am advance/master certified. Need to see how it runs though.

You realize that this thread is from 2010, right? :)

Back
Top Bottom