Damai II Trip Report - Ambon; Banda; Triton Bay; Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report, thanks for posting it. We're on the Damai II..in fall 2019 hahah...a number of decent trips between then and now, but im most excited about it (not the wait) :D

Did you experience any current in Banda Sea? I'm a bit concerned about getting blown out into the blue there in the next November trip.
Didn't experience any crazy currents. The sea was really calm in general but maybe thats why we didn;t have the hammers ;(

Was this with Gerry and Giel, or the new cruise directors? If new, how were they?
Our cruise directors were Simon & Andrina, they've been with the company for 5 years. Very experienced and super fun

We liked the trips and company so much that we have decided to join them and will start as cruise directors on Damai 1 next week. Which means we will be also cruise directing our own charter. Odd how life turns out! Super excited for the new venture and if you are booked on Damai 1 feel free to drop me a pm :wink:

@Allison Finch We'd love to have you aboard with us - come back any time x

Nudisusie - I have a question for you. You mentioned that your favorite out of all those areas was Triton Bay. Can you tell me why? I'm in the process of planning a dive trip and am undecided between Triton Bay or Misool. I'm assuming you love nudibranchs and they are one of my favorite critters to find while diving - how as Triton Bay as far as any odd nudibranchs go? Thanks in advance for your help!

Nudisusie - I have a question for you. You mentioned that your favorite out of all those areas was Triton Bay. Can you tell me why? I'm in the process of planning a dive trip and am undecided between Triton Bay or Misool. I'm assuming you love nudibranchs and they are one of my favorite critters to find while diving - how as Triton Bay as far as any odd nudibranchs go? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Calliejlong

I think i enjoyed diving in Triton Bay the best because of the variety of marine life, lovely soft corals, loads of small critters like ghost pipefish and nudis and plenty of fish species. Misool however is superb diving. I've been through Raja another few times since the report posting and Misool never fails in terms of marine diversity. We saw mantas, sharks, turtles and tons of fish but there is so much bigger stuff and almost every inch of reef is covered in corals and sponges that its harder to find the critters. Misool Resort is lovely and they have a nursery of juvenile black tip reef sharks right on the door step.
But if nudis are your goal then Triton Bay would most likely hit the mark. I saw lots there, but a recent blog from 2 guests of Triton Bay Divers , who were at the resort whilst we were on the liveboard, shows there are many more to find...(169 different species!)
Anthony's Nudibranchs

We're going back to the area in May so I'll be on the look out for more nudis too.

Thanks Nudisusie for the info. I sure appreciate it. Hope to hear how your trip was there in May!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom