DAN courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWCC ready

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been searching the forums and haven't come up with anything about the DAN courses, it's kind of hard because a search for DAN comes up with nothing.
Are the DAN courses useful/informative or are they just a way for DAN to make money? Also are some certs. better than others?

Thanks

If you're referring to the online courses DAN offers in conjunction with Duke University through the DAN website; they are free for DAN members. I've done several, some I've found very interesting and informative....others... WAY over my head since many courses are geared to the Medical profession. It's nice to complete one successfully and get the 'diploma' for that course.

The DAN training offered through Dive training centres? I'm no help there, never done those....

I was talking about the courses that you can take at dive centers, but thanks for the advice about the online courses I'll check them out

I am a DAN Instructor trainer and they are good courses, C'mon down to Florida and get in some good dives and take some DAN courses from me and I hope that you never need to use them!

Thanks for the invite, but hopefully I'll be in Utila by the weekend.

I teach most of the DAN courses, but I try not to be biased.

I recommend every person (diver or not) be trained in at least a Basic Life Support course (First Aid, CPR, AED) whether provided by the Red Cross, American Heart, your Scuba Agency, DAN, or other.

I also strongly recommend that every diver be trained in at least Oxygen First Aid. DAN is one of the few accessible sources for this training. DAN Divers Alert Network : Training & Education : Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries
It's no coincidence so many dive centers offer this course.

After you have those two under your belt, you might be in a better position to assess whether some of the other DAN offerings are appropriate for you.

I also recommend that every diver take their agency's Rescue Course.

Some of DAN's standalone courses like AED and Neurological Assessment are pretty narrow, and you might be better off finding courses that include these relatively short topics.
On the other hand, I think DAN's Basic Life Support for Dive Professionals (not limited to dive pros) and Diving Emergency Management Provider are excellent courses.

Thanks for the advice, I was planning on taking the Rescue course before and of the DAN courses

I have undertaken most of the available DAN courses and am instructor level in two. They will extend your knowledge far beyond basic life support and your standard recreational-type rescue diver course.

Therefore, they are worthwhile.

My favourite was Hazardous Marine Life Injuries (HMLI) Loads of cool information on how to deal with the nasty little beasties we have down there sometimes, and training I have had to employ several times, one of them being last week when somebody stepped on a stone fish.

Cheers

C.

I took the DAN O2 course as an (extra cost) extension for my Rescue class , It was worth it to me even though basic O2 was covered as part the class

I am going to have to investigate the other courses offered by DAN , thanks for this thread

Back
Top Bottom