DAN membership for a new Scandinavian DM - which DAN option to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have decided to do a PADI DM course in the Philippines next year...am already booked, have paid deposit, etc.
Now I am just getting the different paper work in place...travel insurance, etc.

I know that I can already now upgrade my DAN membership.
This I think is a very practical thing to do already now...I don't really trust the postal service in the Philippines.
Currently I have just the basic membership - 'BM' it says on the card.

But when looking at the DAN Europe website to upgrade there is a multitude of membership options...BP, BPL, BPSL, MP, SP, etc, etc.
Which one should I choose if want to go pro abroad??

Note that I am Danish citizen...I belong under DAN Europe...and PADI Nordic.
So maybe this question is best answered by fellow Europeans or Scandinavians working abroad as divemasters or instructors?

Hi Topper
It depends on where you want to teach. The basic DAN professional will cover you for most locations, but if you do teaching in UK or Europe you need to buy a supplement for the additional legal expenses cover. The best thing is to contact PADI and get advice.
In terms of actually shipping the card the best thing is to get it sent to your home address and have someone scanning the card and email it to you...

Dan Europe professional master I feel is a good cover of everything. Even though I teach in central america and this an insurance exempt area, I use this plus the extra legal coverage. Its better to be covered for any possibility.

DAN is personal insurance and you will still need to have professional insurance through another company.

I currently have DAN for my personal insurance and Vicencia & Buckley for my professional; however I am not sure if they cover DM's overseas.

DAN is personal insurance and you will still need to have professional insurance through another company.

I currently have DAN for my personal insurance and Vicencia & Buckley for my professional; however I am not sure if they cover DM's overseas.

That is incorrect. In Europe and non US you can have DAN professional

Absolutely. DAN Americas was only personal last time I checked but I belive they may be changing the options. Same as DAN world !! (the DANs are growing!) but Europe is offering professional to cover you anywhere in the world.

DAN Europe provide professional insurance as long as you have a European address, which you do.

They also have an arrangement whereby you can contact the local DAN office in your area and they will assist with your base office.

Basic Professional is enough, although teaching in some areas such as the UK requires that you have an upgrade. All the info is on DAN Europe's website.

The card will be sent to your home address, of course, however if you apply online you will receive an e-mail with your membership number and insurance details. These can also be printed from the DAN Europe website under your account login. I have so far found these to be just as acceptable to my employers and the local regulatory bodies as the actual plastic card.

Hope that helps

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom