Dan wants to protect divers from the dangers of Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are a lot of lionfish in the red sea.

they dont appear to have eaten everything yet.

Pic from my last trip. They don't belong in the Caribbean and they are eating everything they can with no predators there - very happy they are tasty!

I understand they're here and don't belong. But the link in the op said the Caymans is the first in a global campaign. Again, why just lionfish? There are many other animals outside the Caribbean....and IN the Caribbean that can harm divers also.

I understand they're here and don't belong. But the link in the op said the Caymans is the first in a global campaign. Again, why just lionfish? There are many other animals outside the Caribbean....and IN the Caribbean that can harm divers also.

I think most dangerous species are left alone because they are dangerous. But with the lionfish, there are people saying that if the lionfish are not killed then the entire Caribbean ecosystem will collapse so people go out and kill lionfish and end up getting stung.

one boatload of divers do more damage to the ecosystem than a few lionfish

one boatload of divers do more damage to the ecosystem than a few lionfish

Fantastic. . and your basis for this profound analysis?

You should check with some of our Florida members about the effect of invasive species (e.g. pythons)

are the members who invaded florida complaining that another species is doing the same?

Cave_troll.jpg

Fantastic. . and your basis for this profound analysis?

You should check with some of our Florida members about the effect of invasive species (e.g. pythons)

well john i'm guessing that the lionfish didnt drive to the airport in a rv made from natural resources and spitting out co2.
they probably didnt get on a plane made from natural resources and spitting out co2.
guess what about the boat

save the world pal and kill a lionfish.

Last year when I attended a class for new lionfish cullers here on the Brac, Bradley Johnson had two different types of gloves available. They are not cheap, but well worth the price if they prevent your getting stung. I don't use gloves because I find them a bit clumsy, but everyone should make their own decision. I have some dive master friends who have been stung and it's not something to take lightly..... One spent 5 days in the hospital!
An observation concerning the training of grouper, or other fish to hunt lionfish....... It doesn't work! They will follow you around until one is speared, then move in aggressively to take it. It is now being recommended to NOT feed the lionfish to any sea creatures. I keep the large ones for the table and scrape off and leave the smaller ones for whatever comes along later. I know! I know! It doesn't always work out but that's the plan.

Wifey and I haven't been lionfish huntng lately. We've been helping the DoE monitor turtle nests to prevent egg poaching and TURTLE poaching! Unfortunately there are people who don't think conservation laws apply to them......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom