Dana Point Harbor Clean Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just found out last night that there is a harbor clean up down in Dana Point on Saturday. Some guys at my shop seem interested and I have not done one yet, so I figure why not try it out.

I called this morning and you can sign up Saturday morning. $20 gets you breakfast, lunch and a tshirt. I could not find much on the internet about it, but here is a number to call if interested.

949-496-6137

Dana Point Harbor Clean Up

The only thing I could find http://ocdph.tumblr.com/post/551374163/underwater-clean-up

I went for their 2nd cleanup back in October, it was fun. Nothing like reaching around in zero vis and trying to guess what it is you have a hold of.

It was well organized and a bummer there wasn't more divers involved.

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 67
That's why I figure I will give it a shot. They don't seem quite as organized this year. I called them on the phone today and it did not seem like they had a firm grasp of what was going on.

But I will still give it a try.

Find the biggest boats in the harbor and look for Rolex's on the bottom!

By the by, my slip neighbor lost a skateboard in the water. I put on my scuba gear and went looking for it - The freakiest thing was being on the bottom of the marina and looking around- It was completely open with only a few concrete pylons reaching to the surface. All of the docks and boats are basically floating around the pylonns - I knew this but to see it is a real eye opener.

Dwayne

Kudo's to all who participate in the various clean up dives!!

I have had the pleasure of participating in a few myself and look forward to doing it again when the opportunity arrives.

One thing seems odd to me though.... LDS brough air, Marina restruant fed us lunch, other Marina businesses donated t-shirts & prizes for a raffle after lunch. A great time was had by all.
But in all of the commotion they forgot to ask the divers for $$ in order to participate......

Funny: On one of the dives we recovered a full size garbage dumpster that had washed into the marina during a flash flood. Quite a site :)

Unfortunately this year I won't be able to make it due to prior arrangements. Hopefully they have it again in October.

Good luck on the vis. When I started I could maybe see my hand in front of my face, after all the sediment got kicked up all I could see was my reflection in my goggles. Needless to say I lost my buddy right away, but they had auxillary Coast Gaurd members on the docks watching over the divers. Also you might want to go nice and slow, I came across a piece of rebar pointed right at my face, caught it just in time.

Thanks for the info.

I pretty much figure that a buddy will not last very long, so it will be more of a test on how I will deal with no vis. Which I have done before, just not while looking for for stuff.

So it should be interesting if nothing else!

I did the very first one. I found a Blackberry and pulled up a Marina toilet. Nothing like diving in zero viz.

How was the cleanup?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom