Dancing With The Airlines...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am set to leave for Coz in just a couple of days, But there is some uncertainty about me getting back. Here's the whole dirty story:
I started with a vacation package through American Airlines, which gave me air and hotel at a really good price. I have used this route before and never had any real trouble, and set up the entire thing months ago. The fun started this last Sunday, when I get a phone call from AA. The agent was notifying me of a few 'slight' schedule changes. This had happened before on prior trips, and always involved moving my flight times about 10 minutes or so as they fine tuned their schedules. No big problem, except this time the change moved my flight into Dallas/Fort Worth from Coz on the return trip up too close to my connecting flight to MSP, and I would not have time to make the connection. This is the portal of entry, remember, and involves customs, immigration, etc., and takes a lot more time. So now what, big white rabbit? I can't use the return trip the way I planned due to AA's schedule changes. What do I do now, I asked the agent? Well, she said, we are unable to accommodate you on that day, and would like you to fly back either a day earlier or a day later. Not possible, I said. You will have to find some other way. How about putting me on another airline for the return trip? I said. OMG, we can't do that, she said, and you will just have to fly either a day earlier or later. No, I can't said I, and we went around and around like this for a few minutes. Finally I got tired of her and asked for a supervisor, which I should have done immediately when I saw where this was going. Fine, she said, and I was handed off to a supervisor. Not much help here, though. She started wanting me to fly into Dallas/Fort Worth and stay overnight and catch a final flight the next day. So, what happens to us overnight, then, I asked. Well, we can advise you of a few reasonable motels for the night, she said. Wait a minute, I said. You want me to revise my whole schedule due to YOUR scheduling games, and then expect ME to PAY for the whole thing to boot? Oh no you don't, I said. You will have to do better than that. This is YOUR problem, remember, I said. After some more hemming and hawing, she finally said she would have to get back to me on Monday, as she had very limited resources available to her on a Sunday morning. Fine, sez I. And sure enough, Monday morning she calls me and quietly says "we have arranged for you to fly back on USAir on the specified Saturday." Okay, I said. Now, have you arranged seats for us? Well, that's another problem, she says. There are no elective seats available for either of the two flights with USAir for this trip. But, she says, there are premium seats still available, and you can buy those. What? You want me to PAY for seats to get you out of this mess? I said. Well, she said, there is a bank of seats that they do not release until the day of travel, and I am sure we can get you into some of those. But we won't know until the last minute, I said, right? Well, yeah, she said. You can go down to the airport and negotiate with the USAir ticketing agents, as they have more flexibility than we do here. Oh, I said, this just gets better and better. And what about my frequent flyer miles? Well, she said, you can register with USAir and get the miles on a new account. So, I am essentially losing my AA miles for this return trip because of your baloney, I said. I do not use USAir, and a few miles on an unused account would just expire due to non use. Well, we have no control over that, she said. But we will continue to work on this for you, she said.
So, there it stands. I have a return trip on USAir locked in, but no seats assignable as of yet. I am planning on talking to the USAir people on Saturday morning at the airport when we check in with AA for our trip down and hope I can get this fixed then. What an auspicious beginning for this trip! Wish me luck, folks. Woody

That really sucks, sorry you have to start things off like that! It does put a damper on your whole trip. I hope it goes smoothly but if I were you I would plan on more hassles.

AA did something similar to us a few years ago. We were heading off on a liveaboard trip... date of arrival was critical, as well as receiving our dive gear bags. The boat would sail with us or without us! We happened to check online 2 days before the trip and found that our flights had been changed and that we only had a 20 minute layover in Dallas to catch our connection. Huh? NO notification, and a connection that would not work for US or our LUGGAGE. After call this guy, not our FU, call this guy, oops, call this guy... we finally got put on planes that would give us a 2 hour layover in Dallas (best they could do) but arriving at our boat departure point an hour later than they request for airport pickup. Luckily, we called the liveaboard company and they accomodated us, and our luggage did arrive with us. I was sweating bullets for 2 days, thinking we were out the total cost of our liveaboard trip as we were going to miss the boat. All went well, and we had a great time... but I will never forget that incident!!!!

robin

Things like this make me really, really glad I live 2 hours from DFW. Nonstop flights almost anywhere......

I had to use my super sleuth (nosey) skills to get your dates from the "April" thread. Looks like April 21-28, right?

Will they put you on a United flight? There's one that leaves CZM @ 12:07 PM>> arrives IAH 2:29 PM Depart IAH 6:54 PM and arrive MSP @ 9:43 PM. It's showing 1 seat to choose (row 34) in economy, but you would only have to pay to upgrade for 1 then. There are 2 seats available together in economy on the IAH-MSP flight. At least this way you would have confirmed seats. There's a United flight that leaves at 3:30, also, but it is only showing the plus and first class available.
They need to do the right thing and put you together in the economy plus seats, but you know how that usually goes. Maybe if you call again you'll get someone more willing to help. You might want to find some flights that would work on other airlines in case they won't put you on United.

Just for the record.....I hate they way United has started blocking off so many rows just so they can charge more!

I really wish you luck with this and hope it gets worked out so you don't have to worry about it. Have a GREAT trip!

I wouldn't worry too much about the seat assignments. I booked a last minute flight to CUN a few months ago on USAir and the only seats open were the $30 ones. I refused to pay $30 for the exact same seat they would assign me for free when I got to the airport. I checked in for my flight at the airport and sure enough, they assigned me a "premium" seat (front of the plane window seat) without even attempting to charge me.

Trip Insurance !!

Get it now with trip cancellation, trip delay and lost/delayed luggage.

Since you have your flight you aren't doing anything dishonest.

You will probably be glad you did before this is over and you will have peace of mind.

I use this one, http://www.travelguard.com/mytravelguard/ it lets you pick your coverage from a menu. Don't worry about the medical stuff, just protect yourself for the above delays and cancellations along the way to and from.

Don't worry about the medical stuff, just protect yourself for the above delays and cancellations along the way to and from.

Its funny, when I shop for insurance I scrutinize the medical and look at the rest as an after thought. To me something going wrong with the flight or weather limits me to at most what I have paid out of pocket which in Coz is often not that much. A medical emergency on the other hand can truly lead to unlimited losses. I always ensure that I have at least 15-25K of medical and evacuation as well. A bad bought of the tummy bug can leave you in the hole for a couple of thousand dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom