Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I have no problem with Mau whatsoever, I heard he is a nice guy was probably trying to get off the ground on his own but a few mistakes are probably gonna cost him dearly. I may not like his choice of business practices or that he should have thought about operating more safely but he has now opened some eyes and all will learn from his mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yea I forgot, based on recent discussion I should state the following disclaimer always:
1) Por Esto always lies is poorly translated and should not be trusted at all especially if it says Scuba Mau.
2) Always remember, it is never Scuba Mau's fault for anything that ever happens. It is always somebody else's fault.
3) There are no shady dive shops operating on Cozumel and all are perfectly safe, especially Scuba Mau.:shocked2:
Dude, you seriously have a problem. I did not state any of the above. I'm basically saying instead of going off half cocked you should have a properly translated version of the articles you reference. If someone properly translated any of your referenced articles, and by doing so your whole argument fell apart I doubt you would publish a retraction.

Dude, you seriously have a problem. I did not state any of the above. I'm basically saying instead of going off half cocked you should have a properly translated version of the articles you reference. If someone properly translated any of your referenced articles, and by doing so your whole argument fell apart I doubt you would publish a retraction.

I did not say you said that did I? Actually I could reference this news story in many different newspapers from Mexico but people would still say it is all lies and it isn't translated right. That does not change the underlying facts of the story.
Tell you what, I will see how many articles and versions of translations I can post then maybe you will change your mind.

Back to the original idea of the thread...

1: I don't mind crossing the channel in a panga if the channel looks calm and the forecast is clear.

I have made the crossing a couple of times in a panga and I am none the worse for wear. However, I make that crossing in a fishing boat two or three times every trip I make to Cozumel, and I can tell you that there are days when the water is like glass in the lee of the island and at the same time there are eight foot rollers over next to the mainland. I would hope that any op attempting the crossing would get information about conditions on the other side of the channel before casting off.

My personal experience with the Google and other online translation services have been horrible and numerous documents I tried to translate myself, weren't even close. Perhaps the translation you have is close but then again it may not be. I have used the services of Monica Sauza a translator here in Cozumel. Here is a link to translator services in Mexico and she is listed as one of two in Cozumel.

Senora Sauza has a great reputation here on the island and is very reasonably priced.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/merida/231771/PDFs/translatorsjuly2011.pdf

I suggest, at the very least, you should make sure you are posting the proper translations. Again, for those of us that live here permanently, we have seen many inaccuracies in the media on a variety of different subjects. It is what it is when you rely on the media for all your information.

WSOP fan, with all the copious free time you have, surely you have time to make a few phone calls?
You can start with the Port Authority
World Port Source - Port of Cozumel

and the Mexican Navy. Secretary of the Navy

Don't forget to have someone that can translate for you to make sure you can properly explain why you are entitled to a copy of any reports regarding this accident, especially when all nine passengers involved did not filed a complaint.

Maybe a call to Anne Harris the U.S. consulate here on the island? I don't know but its a start for you.

To save you some time with all your searching, here is the contact information.
Dialing from the US: 011 52 987 872 4574
Dialing from elsewhere within Mexico: 01 52 987 872 4574
Dialing from within Cozumel: 872 4574

Reactions: Jax
It was just posted he was gone for months,MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't even dare try to tell me he did not have PLENTY of time to have them stop operating under his name. YES it is his fault get over it.

That's irrelevant to any discussion of him being connected to Opal and Gabi's incident. Even if you thought he was still involved with Scuba Mau at the time it happened, and even if it's his fault you had that misperception, it still doesn't make him involved. I submit that you have no way of knowing why Opal's op was still called Scuba Mau months after he was no longer part of the operation.

BTW, I have no connection or experience with either operation or any of the people associated with them, except that I did know Opal from when she worked at Blue Angel.

Jen,

You are right, contacting the Port Authority or the Consulate, or even the Sec of the Navy would be laughable. They will turn over no investigation information and even if they did what are they gonna say? As the article said the only action taken from this was the Port Captain revoking that boat permit and the promise to look for more violators. The best thing to do would be to warn future divers and have other dive shops learn from Mau's mistakes.

Oh yea I forgot, based on recent discussion I should state the following disclaimer always:
1) Por Esto always lies is poorly translated and should not be trusted at all especially if it says Scuba Mau.

I missed it. Who said that?

2) Always remember, it is never Scuba Mau's fault for anything that ever happens. It is always somebody else's fault.

Or said this?

3) There are no shady dive shops operating on Cozumel and all are perfectly safe, especially Scuba Mau:shocked2:.

Or said this?

It is not correct to say because we do not buy into all black, we are supporting all white. There are clearly some issues that need explored and we can only hope to at some point perhaps have a better understanding of it all.

As a journalist with 20 years of experience, including the past 13ish as a copyeditor (which, where I work, includes A LOT of verification of information written by reporters), I can assure you that newspapers and other medias are filled with errors. Most of them due to honest, human mistakes, even more so in medias that work on tight schedules (TV and radio news, websites and dailies).

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, most reporters are neither blatant liers nor intellectual superheroes who know it all and can afford to spend days and weeks on a specific story. As an employee of a media that covers a variety of topics, your daily (and sometimes hourly) assignments are only dictated by the news : whether it's a virus outbreak, dive accident, new tax law, zoning permit issues, or whatever, you have at best a few hours to gather facts and quotes from witnesses and officials and produce a story. Not much time to do research and counter verify what you've been told is true.

Now even if you get all your facts straight, you can always leave a typo (oooops! didn't mean to write 1 billion but 1 million… too late it's printed) or misquote a statement. It happens to everyone.

Then the story usually goes through a copyeditor, a job that has as many descriptions as there are newspapers and magazines ; usually involves one or several of the following tasks : layout, rewriting, caption and title writing, correcting spelling mistakes and typos, fact checking, etc, etc.
The copyeditor is human and in a rush too, so he/she can actually mess up a paper (and I don't know about Mexico, but there sure are quite a few copyeditors that should never be allowed to rewrite an article in France).

Then there are other people (section editor, editor in chief, even graphic designers&#8230:wink: each adding their "personal touch" to the original reporting… Sometimes catching a mistake before it's too late, sometimes adding one.

I could go on and on about the many reasons why I don't take what I read in newspapers as gospel, but it's off-topic. Nothing to do with Por Esto. Some of the articles I fact-check are based on the AFP (French equivalent to Reuters and AP), and they sure make lots of mistakes for such a prestigious wire service.

Online translators are awful (don't know what the professional software programs are worth). I'm fluent in 3 languages and I'm always amazed at the nonsense any online translator I've ever used produces.

On topics as technical and specific as the legalities of boat permits and ownership, the text of reference IMO is not a newstory, it would be the law (posted the law of navigation a few posts ago)… keeping in mind that this law MAY be applied differently locally, whether legally (specific written local laws that overrule it ; haven't been able to find any so far, but I just got off work, so haven't looked hard either) or informally. The latter would run smoothly as long as nothing happens, but the day sh!t hits the fan, it's unlikely officials would admit to having bent the rules. I am by no means saying this is what's happening here, or that the original Por Esto story is inaccurate. Just stating it as a possibility.
Bottom line being that I really don't know and refuse to pass judgement without knowing the actual FACTS.

For what it's worth, I'm not protecting Mau (I've never even met the guy) or claiming he runs a safe operation (never dove with them).
Again, I have no fact at this point to judge, just questions (red flags). But I try to abide to the concept of "Innocent until proven guilty", whether in a newspaper, on a TV show or an internet forum.

Last edited:
DiverG,

I have links to 6 different Mexican newspapers reporting on the initial accident. They all report the cause as a glass bottom boat breaking up. They do not report anything further as Por Esto has. Also I have found no better translator than Google so that's all we got. I fail to see how it would be possible for every single article to be false. I also doubt they would continue to quote govt officials repeatedly incorrectly. It really gets old reading people say the news is always lies or the coroner is incompetent and lies or that it is anyone else's fault but the party involved. To say there was some questionably shady stuff going on here and that divers were needlessly endangered is IMO an understatement but YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom