Dangerous Darwin award nominees or fearless Inovators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the comments on Youtube to to be rather amusing as well. The kid is in 10 ft of water and the "experts" are warning him about getting bent or narced LOL.

I'm glad you guys are responding more rationally. Yes, there is an element of danger, but I admire them for there creativity and give them the benifit of the doubt that they understad the limits of there Invention.

"and give them the benifit of the doubt that they understad the limits of there Invention."
THEY ARE TEN!!!!!!!
A.G.E. Can happen in 5 feet of water. You would give them the benefit of the doubt if they were your kids?

THEY ARE TEN!!!!!!!
A.G.E. Can happen in 5 feet of water. You would give them the benefit of the doubt if they were your kids?

I’d much rather see my kids or grandkids doing this than doing some of the skateboard stunts kids are doing now. You know the several story rail riding or trying to jump over moving cars for an example. Sure there was an element of danger. But so are most things adventurous kids do. Kudos to them.

Gary D.

I've heard that kids breathing from an overturned bucket in a pool is common ... no different than letting them play with a 1/2 stick of dynamite, or a bunch of M80's .. they'll probably be OK, wont they????

I am truly jealous that I wasn't that creative when I was their age. All I did at their age was try to blow up things.

So I'm *not* the only one. :D
I think making thermite from rusty nails, and potassium nitrate from garden soil requires some fairly significant ingenuity! :rofl3:
That would make three of us. At about age 12 I experienced an interesting lesson in why you do not pack primary explosives in a dry state when the home made blasting cap I was making just sort of went bang and vaporized before my eyes. I was amazed I still had all my parts and no extra holes. (I suspect God intends for me to cure cancer or something.) Way back then in redneck/cowboy/miner country, that sort of behavior was just regarded a great way to make holes in the back yard. Today, that sort of behavior would get you on a no fly list. Oddly enough by todays standards we also brought our BB guns and .22's to school for "show and tell" and we all had a Buck Knife at least 4" long. Either one of those behaviors would get you expelled now.

Times change but thankfully childhood curiosity, ingenuity and the quest for adventure do not.

As a VR counsleor and later a Disability Coordinator at a college, two of the more common disabling injuries I saw were traumatic brain injuries from soccer, skateboarding and similar sports with lots of potential for head banging as well as loss of hearing from teens using walkmans and similar devices with earbuds blasting loud music directly into their ears. A lot of the stuff kids do every day and that parents take for granted are not all that safe. That said, car accidents are still by far the biggest killers of kids and teens. I'd personally be much happier with my kids turning junk in the garage into scuba equipment or maybe even a submarine than engaging in most other teen activities.

I am truly jealous that I wasn't that creative when I was their age. All I did at their age was try to blow up things.

I wouldn't praise them up too much. Those kids aren't that smart. My son graduated Princeton at the age of ten, and was a practicing physician at the age of fourteen. Everything is relative. :no

David Howser.

Argon would get you narced at 12ft. (obviously if mixed with enough air to keep concious). It really is massively narcotic.

Rather than being chastised, these youth should be recognized with an award for ingenuity--

Recall diving history -- the experiments and success of Auguste Denayrouse and Beniot Rouqaryrol with their "Aerophore."
Or Emile Gagnan and his experiments with the Gasogen?
Or Samuel Lecocq? and his striving for diving equipment simplicity..

None of you would be sucking on a tube blowing bubbles and referring to yourself as divers if it had not been for some one thinking out side of the box and experimenting
sdm

Back
Top Bottom