Darn mosquitos!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey gang!
we made it back from our 2nd trip to COZ. We had a blast!

Hotel:
The Pres....once again, lovely place....excellent food, service, and nice, clean rooms. Our package included the daily breakfast buffet....excellent papayas!! yummy! We stayed at the ocean front room....much better than the 5 story one. One thing, tooooooooooooo many mosquitos....the wife counted 86 on me, and i counted around 67 on her.....they were horrible! and aggresive too! yikes! even with use of the bug spray!!

Diving:
Used the onsite diveop, ScubaDu. great service for the most part.....if you get to know the DMs well, they will take you on their smaller, faster boat....only 6 divers...was nice....we also had unlimited shore diving....great snorkeling, diving right in front of the hotel.

We also dove at the cenotes.....taj majal and grand. it was awesome....pretty freaky initially, but when you get use to it...very serene.....dove with Diablo Divers....Dennis is waaaaaaaaaay cool......so nice, so knowledgeable.....he even took us for a little trip to Tulum for some extra bucks. He even fixed my primary stage at his house....had a little mishap with it......anyhow, an awesome experience....try it!

Eats:
aside from the hotel, we ate at La Mission (great grilled shrimp), Mesa 17 (good, but expected too much), Guido's (great pasta), Coconuts (pretty darn good food, and fun place too!)...all in all....excellent food....and at PDC, there were some great eats too! A fun city...

Diving:
Dove the usual...Palancar, Columbia, Torentos, Cedral Pass....all were sooooooooooo fun...i still think Palancar Horseshoe is one of my favorites! We got to see so much...including sea horses (3 of them for that matter~!)

All in all, great trip...but the mosquitos really made it tough this time....i've never got literally "attacked" by these suckers.....they are vicious! but hopefully, not dangerous.....hmmm

that's about it!!!

ps> used my new housing...ikelite...for my oly 8080....worked great! still practicing my photo skills....what a difference a strobe makes!! almost had to wear sunglasses under my mask!

take care, all!!!!!!!

blessings,

-daniel[/urlhttp://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/22299IMG_2358.JPG[/img]

In our remaining hours on Coz we decide to visit san gervasio...where the mayan women would travel and make offerings to xcel, the mayan godess of fertility and rain...OH MY GOD! "darn mosquitos" is right on! we've just walked into a combat zone...badly outnumbered and running low on repellant...we quickly retreat! No one left san gervasio fertile that day...the musquitos sucked it all up!

Interesting..... we have been going to Coz in May for the past few years. Have had no problems with the critters any year.

It must be a seasonal thing. Can anyone summarize which months are bad for mosquitos and which are not so bad (I can say that May isn't bad at all)

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
Interesting..... we have been going to Coz in May for the past few years. Have had no problems with the critters any year.

It must be a seasonal thing. Can anyone summarize which months are bad for mosquitos and which are not so bad (I can say that May isn't bad at all)

Rich Hagelin

It's not exactly seasonal, it's right after it rains a lot. We have hit them in May, but not often, since April is usually fairly dry there.

I was there in May once when it had rained for a solid week right before we got there, and on our around-the-island excursion, we stopped to shoot some video around that big ceiba tree on the south end. It took them about 2 minutes to find us, but when they did, it was a swarm, and they were big and aggressive. When they hit, we all sprinted to the van, and I didn't think to turn the camera off. Watching that video is like watching something from the Blair Witch Project, with the screaming and the running and the jerky camera.

O'Malley:
In our remaining hours on Coz we decide to visit san gervasio...where the mayan women would travel and make offerings to xcel, the mayan godess of fertility and rain...OH MY GOD! "darn mosquitos" is right on! we've just walked into a combat zone...badly outnumbered and running low on repellant...we quickly retreat! No one left san gervasio fertile that day...the musquitos sucked it all up!

We went to San Gervasio a couple of years ago, I'm also a mayan freak. We didn't have the mosqitos problem, but as we were entering the site a lady was on her way out. she stopped, looked at us, held up her hands and said "LOTS OF LIZZARDS!!!!"

I just thought that it was really funny. Imagine if she would have been aware of the snakes!!!! hey it's in the jungle!

Went june 8-15th. I am still healing mosquito bites on my anckles. Scratched them too mutch. I usually bring deep woods off. Left it at home this trip. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! Tried the off you get in Coz, no help . It seemed to attract the mosquitos. Nothing we had helped. Got there just after a Tropical storm. Water standing everywhere. But I can deal with them. Because the diving is awesome. At least there was no thimble jellys to deal with when i was there.

I just returned from Cozumel/Cancun tonight. I have more bites on my legs than I can count from walking thru San Gervasio. Still a great trip.

-Mike

amen to that, mike~

welcome home...although i know you'd probably rather be back in COZ like me... =(

ps> my bites are healing......but man.....i was covered! lol!!! hope there's no west-nile there!!

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom