DataMax Sport Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
I acquired an Oceanic DataMax Sport dive computer from my friend who got out of diving. It's been sitting since the 90s and needs a new battery, where can I get one? What's involved?

thanks

Nate

I've got one I've been using since about '93, and it has a user-replaceable batteries. Mine has a round battery door on the back that can be opened using a quarter as a screwdriver. I just pop the new batteries in and clean/inspect/lube the O-ring. If your's is the same, note that the user's manual specifies using a coin, not a screwdriver. Oh, and wrt where to get the batteries, it uses two common button cells that're available at WalMart, sporting goods stores, battery stores, and possibly your LDS. I don't remember the #, but you can get the # off of the old ones.

When I bought mine I was told that older models had to be returned to Oceanic, though. They don't have the battery door on the back like mine. OR, I saw a web site one time where the guy gave instructions on cutting a hole in the bottom directly over the battery, replacing the battery, then filling the hole with epoxy (or something like that). Not sure it's something I'd prefer to do, though. And I think his instructions were for a different brand of computer.

hmm i think mine is the non-removable type. Should I call up oceanic? see what they say...?

thanks

nate

Nate

We have a couple of those DataMax Sports lying around, too. Bought them in '94 or so. I seem to recall the manual said you had to take them into your dealer (or send them to Oceanic) for battery replacement. When I looked into it last, several years ago, the couple of dealers I checked with said that the DM Sports were no longer supported, but that they qualified for a discounted upgrade to a current Oceanic dive computer model.

Amazingly enough, my wife's DM Sport still fires up. Mine just flashes Low Battery.

If my memory serves me correctly the Sports with a blue button have user changeable batteries and the black button units do not offer a user changeable battery. I believe that Sipa Dan is correct in that we would have to offer some type of upgrade to a newer computer versus fixing the old Sport. Contact your Oceanic retailer and they can provide you options on upgrades at 20% off retail on our trade in program.

Regards,
Darryl

Back
Top Bottom