Dates for catching Bioluminescence on Bonaire April/May 2018??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crystal A.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello! We are planning our first trip to Bonaire and I really want to catch the bioluminescence! I have read that the best time to see it is a few days after the full moon. Is this true? We were planning to go 5/5/18 - 5/20/18 but looking at the moon calendar I am thinking 4/27 - 5/13 is a better window? I found spectacularly cheap tickets and hope to book asap!

Are you thinking of the Ostracod displays? If so, you want to be looking about 45 minutes after sunset, not near a lot of shore lights, and when the moon is not up. It needs to be dark, and your eyes need to be dark-adapted (no lights are used). Since the Full moon rises at the same time the sun sets, and then a bit less than an hour later each night following, the two weeks following Full moon (but not the 2-3 days after Full moon) work well, but the earlier part of the two-week window is the best. Apr 29 is Full moon, with sunset at 2012 and moonrise at 2000, so it is not dark that day, nor is it dark enough the next day, But by May 1 you've got sunset at 2014, real darkness at 2100, and the moon not up until 2156. Then you've got some days of good activity.

If you stick with your 5/5-5/20 dates, you'll be in good shape immediately upon your arrival, but it is likely to peter out in a week or less. I think they get tired flashing! I'd go with the early arrival!

If you are thinking classical bioluminescence, as from plankton in the water, it just needs to be dark.

Your profile says you are a photographer. As far as i know, you need an image intensifier to photograph the Ostracods, and probably the plankton displays too.

Your profile says you are not certified. Seeing the Ostracods as a snorkeler is problematic. Many have tried, but the problem is the activity is down around 25-50 feet, and the light is quite dim, so from the surface there is not much to see.

Last edited:
I must figure out the profile thing! We are newbies AOW in May, back to Roatan for hopefully rescue in November, and wannadive said they are doing the Ostracod dive 5/3, thank heavens we didn't already buy our tickets!! We snorkeled with bioluminescence in Bocas del Toro, dived with String of Pearls on Roatan. AOW or not I'm trying super hard to keep our photography to snorkeling, I'm ok with maybe the gopro mounted somewhere but it's distracting and I'm not good with false comfort, it's all good till it's not good....I think if we try to photograph anything it will be a FLUO dive!!! Thank you very very much for your input!!! :) :)

You'll have a great dive with Wannadive May 3, so long as they go to The Lake or Batchelor's Beach or somewhere with no shore lights. I agree, just enjoy the experience, no photography!

Fluorescence dives are really interesting. It takes the deep blue light and the yellow filter and photography is challenging but at least possible. But I'd still go without a camera for your first one and just enjoy the experience. I remember once using a regular white light and the blue light+filter and seeing little glowing, flat anemones in the sand with the fluoro gear, but could see nothing when I switched to the white light.

Read this article before you do the Ostracod dive.
The Starry Night Beneath the Caribbean Sea
(Oops, just saw that Dive Friends provided the same link. It is a good one.)

Last edited:
great article, thank you!

I appreciate everyone's assistance, we moved our dates to arrive before the full moon :)

Back
Top Bottom